69volunteer

Engine Storage

I have an engine on a test stand that has been sitting for quite a while. It has been rebuilt and is full of antifreeze. The other night, I was moving it and noticed that there are white crusty deposits at the hose connections for the over flow and radiator. I also noticed that the paint is bubbling on my water pump.

I assume this if from the antifreeze siting in the engine and not circulating on a regular basis. Should I dump and go with distilled water? Will I need to flush my new radiator?

I havent inspected closely but that would lead me to believe I have some leaks. 

How long is quite a while?  I was told by a mechanic friend when I was first turning wrenches in the 1980's to change the antifreeze every three years, and use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.  When I bought a Champion radiator made of aluminum about 5 years ago, they also said to add a bottle of Water Wetter coolant additive to the mix also.  How much longer until you install the motor?

If you cannot run the engine a couple times a month long enough to fully warm it up and it will be in long term storage, I think I might have drained the anti freze from the system.  Then leave the cooling system open so it can fully dry out.  I don't know if that's the best option, just my opinion.  Corrosion of aluminum parts in contact with coolant is also a concern.

Whether you are using a coolant/water mix, or straight water, it's best that the water be distilled (deionized).  It helps slow down corrosion.  For prevention, I replace the coolant in my Mach 1 every year and use a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water.  The stuff I drain out is still good so I use it in our daily driver cars.

When you eventually get the car running it's a good idea to add Bar's Leaks coolant system sealer and conditioner to the cooling system.  I am talking about the round tablets or the brown liquid in I think a 10 oz. bottle.  Not any type of brass or aluminum shaving stuff.  It won't stop large leaks.  But does small seeping leaks at freeze plugs, gaskets, etc.  It will change the color of the coolant.  Some engine builders put something like this (tablet or solid form) inside the engine block when they do a rebuild.  When I was a GM tech, every time we opened up a cooling system during a repair, GM had their version of the Bar's Leaks sealant and conditioning tablets that we put into the cooling system to ensure no small seeping leaks would crop up later on.  

This motor is a back up motor for another car. It is the original. I will drain the coolant and run distilled for now then maybe drain it all and store without anything.

Coolant has been sitting for at least a year but not much more than that. I didnt realize it was that corrosive. My dumb friend told me that I needed to drain the water because it might freeze but I'm in TX and the engine is in an attached garage. 

Using a water soluble oil, like Bars Leak and a 50-50 antifreeze mix has worked for me.   Years ago they used to call some of this stuff "water pump lube".  Maybe someone from the West Coast or Southwest could weigh in about what they do if they don't run antifreeze.