Kevin427

Brake pad recomendations

Hello, I have a 69 Mach1 with a 427 Windsor and 4 speed trans. due to the cam profile I removed the power brakes and installed a Wilwood master cylinder. I am running stock type front brakes with drilled and slotted rotors and stock 10" drums on the back. Everything is new. The pads I installed are stock type organics from Autozone. I have very good pedal but could use some more stopping "grip" This is a weekend nice weather cruise type of car. do you think I just need to go to a metallic pad or possibly ceramic, or even a set of EBC's

Thanks

EBC green pads and shoes, it's really that simple but you should sand the rotors to remove the old brake material first then follow the bedding in instructions for optimum performance.

Also, if you can live with around another 3/4" of pedal travel, installing a smaller master will make a noticeable improvement . Also installing 2 lb residual valves in the front brake lines will help reduce pedal travel a little bit by maybe 1/4" to 3/8".

You may also need to adjust the braking  bias.

You should also set your timing curve for optimum performance.

I'd avoid metallic pads if possible.  They have some negative side effects.  More likely to squeak when cold, chew up brake rotors, and leave a rusty metallic dust on the wheels and everything else in the vicinity.  OEM switched away from metallic to ceramic back in the mid 1990's.

Ceramic pads are certainly less dusty, but along with that comes less braking ability. With the low cost of rotors these days, they have become a consumable product.

Since there are some smart guys on this thread, I thought I'd ask a somewhat on topic question. I've got a set of Hawk HP Plus on my Mustang, but haven't driven it hard enough to know how they perform. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on their hot and cold performance?

Since there are some smart guys on this thread, I thought I'd ask a somewhat on topic question. I've got a set of Hawk HP Plus on my Mustang, but haven't driven it hard enough to know how they perform. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on their hot and cold performance?

They are not a racing pad and can crack under very extreme use but they are a very decent pad for typical street use and mild aggressive driving on occasion . Bed them in properly after removing any previous brake material from the rotors or they will not work well.

ebc green pads work much better than the porterfields for daily driving

Have you done a comparison? How do you know this? I'm not arguing, I'm just curious how came to your opinion.

I will be sticking with the R4S pads because of my past experience and because I am both on the track and on the street. As always, I am open to a better option but need some data before I take the leap.