johnman69

Rack and pinion conversion

Firstly, I would like to say a big “Hi†to all. I’m a newbie, my name is John, from Perth West Australia. I have 2 Mustangs, 66 coupe, 69 convertible and a 69SS Camaro.

For the Mustang’s I’m looking for the cheap DIY version of installing R&P. I have just ordered 2 sets of headers from Stan at FPA. He tells me his headers will work with the stock P/S with a drop bracket and R&P. I have a high level of fabrication skills to tackle this type of job but not the knowledge of what will fit.

I have spent some time reading through your forums and it seems a rack from something like a Cavalier is the best option for a J type rack. Does it have to be a J type to work in our cars.

I came across an article from your old website and wanted to know if there is a version of it where the attachments and pictures are available. I would like to read it if possible.

How to install the mid 80's GM J-car rack & pinion into '60s Fords

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would very much appreciated.

John

Howdy and welcome to the forum John. I believe it's State Law that you post some pics of your 69  :)

I do not believe they have state laws down under, but we have forum laws that are of higher power...

As for the Cavalier J rack, I have it in mine. Randall's rack bases his system on it.  But if I bought  a J car rack, I could not put it in my car.  It has been modified by randall too much.  I thought about buying an extra J car rack to use in mine, if it ever failed, but it will not work.   I wonder if I have some pictures, that might help. So if you were thinking of bolting a J car rack into your car, it might be possible, but it will be a lot of work.  I would think that other racks might be an easier fit. Before I bought mine, I would go to a junk yard and look at the racks on cars to see if any would be an easy fit. Maybe you could do that and see if you could find something close.

I once knew a woman with a great rack and a perfect fit, but she was too cavalier...