bfed

Installing A Champion 338 Radiator in 69

Hi, I'm installing a Champion Radiator in my 69 Coupe. It is a three core 24 inch. I have been trying to find a upper brace to fit over the tank similar to the stock. The tank is over 2 1/2 inches  versus the stock 2 inch. I have seen pictures on the web of that Champion 338 with the top saddle. I need to know if anyone knows of a top saddle that I could buy oversized. I also need to know if anyone installed this radiator and how they mounted it. A picture would be grateful.

Bill F

Question about Champion radiator fitment pop up on here pretty often.  Do a search on the forum for Champion radiator, and you will get lots of results.  I had good results with a 20 inch on a small block car, but not so good on a big block car with a 24 inch. 

I put one in my 69 Mach and tried to use a modified stock one but it didn't work. I ran into clearance issues with the bracing in the hood. I just made up 2 L shaped brackets that go from the rad support to the top bolts of the fan Shroud. It looks less cluttered on top of the rad.

It has.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/product/1967-70-mustang-v8-390-428-3-row/acp-aluminum-maxcore-radiators#reviews

Also available at Dallas Mustang and other retailers. The fit is perfect for saddle mount applications.

I believe Griffin also makes a 3 row that looks stock. I was referring to the lack of top brackets for the thicker Champion radiator. 

Yeah, the Griffin looks stock.  They offer them with either two 1 inch wide rows or two 1-1/4 inch wide rows.  I have a 24" wide Griffin with two 1-1/4 inch wide rows.  It looks stock but the core is thicker than stock.  To compensate for the thicker core and fit the original saddle mounts I had to move the lower saddle mounts a little.  It was simply drilling one new mounting hole in each lower saddle mount.  I also had to use 1/2" spacers on the upper saddle mount where it bolts to the radiator support.  These spacers are not visible after installed.  After reading posts with Champion saddle mount radiators I guess the Griffin fits fairly easily.

I believe Griffin also makes a 3 row that looks stock. I was referring to the lack of top brackets for the thicker Champion radiator. 

Gotcha. I would think that would be on Champion, since their radiator is not direct fit. There are direct fit options out there and with the ACP coming at at a little over $300, not sure why anybody would want to buy the Champion.

It has.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/product/1967-70-mustang-v8-390-428-3-row/acp-aluminum-maxcore-radiators#reviews

Also available at Dallas Mustang and other retailers. The fit is perfect for saddle mount applications.

Hey Max Power, FYI  I saw the picture of the 69 Fastback shown below your posts in the 2017 NPD catalog on page 113. Is that good looking beast yours?

Hey Max Power, FYI  I saw the picture of the 69 Fastback shown below your posts in the 2017 NPD catalog on page 113. Is that good looking beast yours?

It is.

I know Mark over at NPD and he used the picture a couple years ago, but did not know he did it again. Might have to charge him for creative.....LOL!