I’m the original owner of an all original 69 Mach1. I kept it so I would have a project when I retired. It still runs but has 77k on the odometer and looks pretty sad. I ran into a guy today that begged me to keep it original. I’ve been tired of the color and the peeling, cracked and chipped stripes for a long, long time. This guy suggested I wrap the car so it would stay original. He said I could get any color I wanted and it would look shiny and new.

I’m interested in your thoughts. Has anyone seen this done on an entire car?

I wouldn't wrap it.  If anything, I would repaint it the original color.  You can paint it with an Acrylic Enamel to be closer to original instead of a modern two stage Urethane paint.  At some point they are beyond being catagorized as a survivor and need some mechanical or body and paint attention otherwise they will deteriorate.  In my opinion a repaint in the original color won't harm it's value any.

You wouldn't get the stripes off without leaving some battle scars, that's for sure.  I agree with everybody else that a wrap would not work without a lot of prep... and at that point you might as well paint it.  My car is original paint and I love it because I don't have to worry about it getting scratched, dented, etc.  It allows me to focus on the mechanical, interior, etc without having to delve into body work which is often an arduous task.  However if I had a quarter panel flapping in the wind every time I went down the road then priorities would have to change.

david

If I had your car I would also do the mechanical work first, I'd continue driving it while doing the upgrades, as once a car is torn down it tends to stay down. While a fresh paint job brings a joy to our eyes, I'd wear that original worn paint as a badge of honor.  

If I had your car I would also do the mechanical work first, I'd continue driving it while doing the upgrades

I originally planned on doing that but of course it means pulling most things apart twice; once to fix it and again to do the paint (rotis.) and interior. My brother convinced me to do the paint first, then rebuild with a refreshed engine and trans.

I do wonder how long it will take. Its a Southern California car (So Cal is essentially a desert) and it has always been garaged so I don't expect a lot of rust but there is some in the passenger door where the rear weep hole apparently plugged-up. Everything works (after a fashion) and everything is there, but virtually everything needs attention.

I'm nearly driving my Mach after taking it to bare metal in 1999, so I understand that route. Just try to fully plan ahead, and be careful with the "while you are at it" syndrome.