Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Are Oil or Trans Temp Gauges Necessary?

I for some reason bought a 2 pod gauge insert which replaces the forward ash tray in the center console. I was thinking about getting a trans and oil temp gauge, but really don't know if they're needed or they're just something else to go bad. Any experiences or your thoughts on me doing this? And if I do buy the gauges, which temp range should I get? The selections are 100-250* and 140-300*. 

Thanks guys.

On my car there are only ' idiot ' lights for the oil and alternator.  Those are the two gauges I elected to occupy the pod in the ash tray's spot.  Those two are easy to install using wire only.  Depending what your driving needs are will determine what you need for gauges?  Trans and oil temps would be OK but I would think actual radiator temp. would be nice to have.  Brian

post-33155-0-49263400-1475268363.jpg

Thanks Brian. I've already installed oil pressure and water temp gauges in the instrument bezel. Just curious about the engine oil and trans fluid temp gauges being used.

post-5441-0-50962200-1475270718.jpg

Well my trans controller has a digital guage and i can tell u this much, it made me see i needed a trans cooler on the car thats 4 sure...

Not sure on oil temp tho, would think if water temp was okay oil temp dhould be decent to... Neither gauge woukd be a bad invrstment

I cannot add anything about your oil temp gauges.  But regarding those gauge pods on the console.  For a while I had a tach IP in my 69 Mach 1 and one of those gauge pods with an oil PSI gauge and a voltmeter installed in it.  When the tach stopped working I reinstalled the original non-tach IP and removed the gauge pod.  At least for me, that gauge pod is so far out of your field of vision while driving you never look at those gauges.  Though a convenient location for gauges, it's really a poor location and not practical.

RPM that is one ugly looking foot in post NO.3

Many people dont like the idea of so called  idiot lights but i find them in combination with a manual gauge very helpful.

I try to have both..

I find the idea of watching the road far safer than staring at my oil presser or whatever..

Never had a A/T with a temp gauge so I cant help you with that.....Never know it might need one..Next time I will..

I do like to know whats going on..

I cannot add anything about your oil temp gauges.  But regarding those gauge pods on the console.  For a while I had a tach IP in my 69 Mach 1 and one of those gauge pods with an oil PSI gauge and a voltmeter installed in it.  When the tach stopped working I reinstalled the original non-tach IP and removed the gauge pod.  At least for me, that gauge pod is so far out of your field of vision while driving you never look at those gauges.  Though a convenient location for gauges, it's really a poor location and not practical.

Ya, I don't think either gauge should be one that you'd look at too often, so them being out of the line of sight shouldn't be an issue.

RPM that is one ugly looking foot in post NO.3

Many people dont like the idea of so called  idiot lights but i find them in combination with a manual gauge very helpful.

I try to have both..

I find the idea of watching the road far safer than staring at my oil presser or whatever..

Never had a A/T with a temp gauge so I cant help you with that.....Never know it might need one..Next time I will..

I do like to know whats going on..

Good eye Ray! Unfortunately I usually don't see anything in the background or foreground till the pics are posted. I too like a gauge in combination with a pressure activated idiot light.

Thanks guys.

I suppose depending on how long you want your trans to last would depend on the temp range guage you get LOL.

My trans temp without the cooler will run in the 225 range which I don't care for.

With the cooler it stays between 175-185 so I would get a gauge that goes from like 125-250 or so.

They say for ever 25 degrees over 200 you reduce your trans life by 1/4 or so...Not sure how true this is but I try to keep mine at same temp as my motor, which never gets over 190 at MOST