Sign in to follow this  
1969_Mach1

Power Brake Booster Front Seal

I need a new front seal for the Bendix brake booster in my 1969 Mach 1.  The booster was rebuilt about 20 years ago, works fine.  But, I noticed when recently replacing the master cylinder (again) that the front seal no longer fits snug on the push rod.  The front seal is easy to replace.  Where can I find a front seal for this or some kind of rebuild kit that contains the front seal? 

Last time I had this booster rebuilt is was a nightmare.  Took a long time.  I couldn't take time off from work pick it up when I was told it was ready, so my father picked it up.  They gave him a different booster because it actually wasn't ready, he didn't know.  I still had to take time off from work to straighten it out and get mine back.  Yeah, since then, I am skeptical of these "specialized rebuilders". 

Thanks for any help.

Kinda curious as to what front seal you are are referring to ?  By your description it would seem your are referring to the interior diaphram/bellows that is the size of the booster itself ?  Pretty much what a rebuild is all about.  The booster in the picture, Bendix 6945, can be gotten at NAPA,  ebay or most auto parts stores.  Somewhere around $150.  Brian 

post-33155-0-75484300-1472001563.jpg

post-33155-0-87648100-1472001573.jpg

There is a seal behind the paper you have at the push rod where the master cylinder attaches.  Without a seal there, you will have a massive vacuum leak.  It's easily removed and installed.  Mine no longer seals around the push rod very snuggly.