Raven R code

Urgent!!.....engine removal issue

I have my 428 coming out today. It's on the cherry picker at the moment and just dangling free from the tranny. Problem is the passenger side exhaust manifold is caught behind the shock tower and can't seem to get it to clear. I have a tilter on the picker going front to rear. Wondering if I should reposition left to right instead. I did take it out and put it back in with the manifolds on back in 1987. Not sure why it's so difficult right now. I'm also in the process of dropping the power steering cylinder out of the way because the flywheel is hitting it.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

I'm thinking that putting the engine back in without the heads and manifold may be easier. Then bolt the headers to the heads and install last. Anyone ever go that route? The other thought is to install the power steering components afterwards too.

I put my engine in with the headers attached.  You have to jack the back of the car up as high as your jack stands will go.  Then use the engine leveler and crank the front of the engine up as high as you can.  Then she glides right in.

You don't want to be installing heads with the block in the car.  Not very easy.  Besides, then you have to lift and place that intake manifold that's the size of Texas onto the engine.  And doing the exhaust is even harder.  Just no clearance once the engine is down.  You could do it with the engine lifted a few inches I guess.  But why fight it.  B.  

I remove the studs from the manifolds so they don't punch or snag anything and also have been removing the bellhousing.  Then the engine will drop straight down without the need to tilt anything.  You don't need to install w/o the manifolds installed.  You do probably need to drop the idler arm bracket so you can lower all the steering gear but, again, you don't have to remove that stuff.

this is pretty close to what i have done several times.

run a tap in the exhaust bolt holes.

put a little grease or anti seize on the bolt threads.

put a towel on the passenger shock tower.

install the engine part way with the heads on and the drivers manifold slightly loose and valve covers off.

once the engine is around 12" above the mounts, lay the passenger manifold on the pron then have someone slowly lower the engine until it is around 2" above the mounts as you hold the manifold, then bolt the manifold on so it is loose then drop the engine all the way.