prayers1

Door panel question?

I just finished installing my new Deluxe door panels from Mustang Market. The old set had screws through the door panel carpet.  The new panels have a little gap about an 1/8"  to a  1/4" gap on the very bottom.

Did Ford put screws in the original design or are the ones I have a prior owners attempt to keep the bottom panel sealed.

I just finished installing my new Deluxe door panels from Mustang Market. The old set had screws through the door panel carpet.  The new panels have a little gap about an 1/8"  to a  1/4" gap on the very bottom.

Did Ford put screws in the original design or are the ones I have a prior owners attempt to keep the bottom panel sealed.

what do you mean by a little gap at the bottom?

are they too short or do they not sit flush with the door?

did these panels have white plastic backing?

yes the factory ones had screws.

Thanks Guys for the quick responses!

Panels are white on back and do stay flush to the bottom, but there is a little gap.

The gap doesn't bother me, but was wondering if Ford used screws.

On my old set it had screws, but one hole was drilled too big, so I drilled one next to it and the drill bit caught the fabric and made a run in the carpet ;(

I'm hesitant on drilling screws in the carpet and Brian's pictures looks like the holes are in the lower fabric lip.

Brian,

Thanks for the pics, that always makes it easier.

Are the screws in the lower lip of the panel material or just above it?

umm,...do NOT drill thru the panel because the drill will catch the carpet and put a run n it.

use an awl with a slow taper and thin shaft.

have someone press down lightly on the top of the panel to make sure it is properly seated.

go up around 1/4 - 1/2" above the vinyl strip on the bottom of the carpet.

put a piece of tape on the awl shaft around 3/4" up from the tip to use as a depth guide.

you can use 5 or 6 screws . if you use 5, put a screw between the front and rear of the panel around 1/2 - 1/2" up from the vinyl .  press the awl against the panel and use a very big hammer and whack a hole in it then install the screw until it is barely snug . to tight will distort the panel.

next, start around 2" from the front edge of the door panel and 1/2 - 1/2" up

next do the same to the rear

next place a screw between the other screws.

i use small head black phillips pan head number 6 screws and sometimes number 8 . these will sink into the carpet so they won't be seen.

I got involved with this project because I replaced the carpet on both lower doors.  I had the door panels off the doors to remove the stainless steel trim.  I saw the existing 6 screw holes at the door bottom and just assumed they were original as best and re-hung the panel.  Did not re-install just hung in place.  Installed the carpet and the stainless trim on the panel and installed it on the door.  I  began poking a pointed awl through the bach of the panel and marked the screw hole with some blue tape. Using my pointed soldering iron I burned a small opening, through the blue tape, in the carpet at the recently located screw hole and screwed the whole thing to the door.  The screws at the door ends you should be able te locate easily.  The remaining 4 screw holes are about 8" apart.  The screws in my door panel bottoms are high enough to be in the flat area of the door, not on the radius, and where the original installer put them.   The screws were black when I started this project and when i finished I did paint the new chrome screws black.  I thought they looked better that way.  Just Me.   Anyhow that's how I remember it.   Brian 

post-33155-0-68413900-1464573033.jpg

post-33155-0-07303100-1464573047.jpg