Sign in to follow this  
Dangstang

69 Toploader Shift Linkage

I Bought a custom Hurst Shifter from Mark at  toploader Heaven some time ago and i'm only now finding i have a problem.He supplied a Hurst Shifter that he customized as well as the shift rods and arms.Problem is i think he supplied a reverse rod  and arm that orientate on top of the transmission reverse shift shaft which means my reverse is now up instead of down.Ive tried to install under the shaft but cannot get correct position. Any one with pictures of correct shift arm and rod for a 351W ? Maybe a part number? I've goggled for info but as you  probably know there seems to be almost to much info available and in my opinion  its  making this more complicated then it should be.

Mach1Rider is correct.  Left and up for reverse on a Hurst shifter.  My hurst Competition Plus shifter is that way.  Make certain the linkage is adjusted correctly.  My question is why did Toploader Heaven "customize" a shifter that is made to work with your trans and fit into the stock shifter hole in the car?  Hurst already designed it to work and fit correctly.

I understand what your  saying as far as the reverse position being reorientated on the shift pattern due to the Hurst shifter replacement .I have attached a picture of the bottom portion of the shifter for reference .Ill give it another go tonight.As far as the reason why I went with a custom shifter its a story im sure everone has experiance with .I wanted something better ,Mark explained his reworking of the Hurst shifter gave it a much smother and shorter throw .He is a pleasent and well informed  person to talk to about toploader and related which made it a easy sell for him.I wish he was availible to talk me thru my issues but such is life sometimes.

post-13659-0-56916800-1461678945.jpg

The "left and up" for reverse is one of the improvements Hurst made.  That way, you can't catch reverse on a banzai 1/2 shift.  Did you buy the one that accepts the '69 shift handle so it looks stock or does it use the Hurst handle?

I think Galaxies in '69 had reverse in the left and up position so if you find a Galaxie shift knob it would match the new pattern.

If you want reverse to be down to match your stock shift knob, you need to find a stock Ford shifter.   

As others have said, Hurst Shifters for Ford Toploader applications will have reverse up rather than down so you will just have to deal with it not matching the stock '69 Mustang Shift Knob.  

I've got a '70 Mustang Hurst Shifter in my '69 and modified a stock '69 shift lever to mate with the Hurst.   The pattern on my woodgrain knob is wrong like yours too, but it has been that way for 30 years and I don't think anything of it.   When someone else drives it, I just mention that reverse is UP instead of down.

Doug