Rsanter

What's it for?

I know these are the brackets that go to the bottom of the dash to a bolt that holds the brake pedal bracket in at the firewall. But take a closer look, one is longer than the other. The longer one has been cut and welded to add a piece into it. Otherwise they started as the same stamped part.

The paint looks original and the weld looks very factory. I do not belive that this was done later by an owner.

So why did they do this? What is the correct application?

Bob

post-38343-0-75931600-1460749983.jpeg

post-38343-0-74498400-1460749996.jpeg

post-38343-0-16243100-1460750009.jpeg

post-38343-0-39191500-1460750024.jpeg

Could the longer one be for a 70?  They made quite a few changes in the 70 dash config.

Both my 69 coupes have the shorter ones without the extension. I also thought maybe the longer one is for a factory AC car, but one of mine is a non air and the other is air and they both have the short one.

I guess it could be for 70. But speaking as an engineer it seems to me they were making enough of the cars that they would want to just use a stamping die verses spending the labor.

Don't know.....just thinking.

Trying to figure out what limited application would justify the extra labor

Bob

Bob being an engineer you know things can go wrong during produion (very wrong)

You cant stop the line!!!!Company's do what needs to be done to keep things rolling..

Costing millions some times..

I'm in motorsports. I could tell you stories were the hole line up was never made over ONE part.

I have a 1969 and a 1970 bracket.  See picture.  They are identical, and do not have this weld repair.  The bracket is the same for A/C and non-A/C cars.   If you have the Jim Osborne assembly manuals (Brown for 1969, Orange for 1970), this bracket is shown in the Body Assembly manual.  The Orange book is page 34.   It is part number C9ZB 650 4510.    The only reason I know this is that I just blasted and painted these and was trying to find out how to mount the bracket.  It is mounted to the underneath of the dash, on the right side of the steering column on one end, and to the lower right brake support bolt.

The shiny one in your picture looks great, but I have never seen one with a shiny finish like that.   Anyway, hope this helps.

If anyone needs an extra, I have a whole set of extra dash brackets I will sell you. 

post-45109-0-42775000-1461021905.jpg

The other thing I thought about was that maybe the weld repair one is from a Cougar.....?   Not sure.   The only reason to extend it would be if the dash or firewall were somehow modified.......

This part is a dash brace that reduces shake or rattles from the dash moving around a bit.

No it's not really needed but it is good to have on there.

The shiny one is because it was CAD plated when I sent a bunch of stuff in. I do this because the finished resists rust and it's easier for me to send then

M in verses me cleaning them up, de rusting the stuff...etc.

If I don't want it shiny I just shoot paint over them.

It costs about $75 for a 5 gal bucket full of stuff. Well worth it verses my time

Bob