Rsanter

Custom rear tie down brackets

Just thought I would show what I was working on yesterday and today.

I wanted a set of rear tie downs for when we have the car on the trailer.

Yes I have the factory tie downs but their location is not ideal when attaching to my trailer so I end up going around the rear axle. I am also adding a factory sway bar to the car.

Now they make shock plates that have tie down loops on them, but they are expensive and I kind of don't like them. So in my typical fashion I went with what was in my head and in my material scrap pile.

These plates will go between the factory shock plate and the spring. Gives me the tie down location that I am wanting and the attaching point for the rear sway bar I am adding

Bob

post-38343-0-92481500-1458521751.jpeg

post-38343-0-23102400-1458521802.jpeg

post-38343-0-79028400-1458521832.jpeg

post-38343-0-67365400-1458521876.jpeg

post-38343-0-57303300-1458521947.jpeg

I rough cut them with a plasma and then finished them on a milling machine.

The bend was done on a 50ton press using a large V block and a piece of metal stock for the ram to press on

I was originally planning to use 1/4" material but I didn't have any.

A friend had this 5/16" material in his scrap bin so that's what I used

Bob

I was originally planning to use 1/4" material but I didn't have any.

A friend had this 5/16" material in his scrap bin so that's what I used

Bob

And that's how it's done. Love it.

You must be taking them to Fresno? I do the same thing ,five gallon buckets of bolts and all the brackets i can dig up .

The last time i took some in though they lost a whole bucket of my 65-68 pieces and bolts .

Yep, I take them to commercial Electroplate in Fresno. Been going there for years.

They have lost a few things of mine but have always found them

If these brackets end up in your bucket next time...you will know where to return them

Bob

The owner of Commercial Electro Plating, Dave McQuone died over 5 years ago. Dave took over from his dad and ran it for years. I heard Dave's wife took over running it, could be wrong. Dave and my oldest brother were life long Catholic school friends till pancreatic cancer took 'ol Dave. Between Comm Electro Plating and the Lucas family at Valley Chrome, another family friend, we never paid much if any for plating. Many crazy and funny stories out there amongst our families. Thanks for refreshing my memory Bob.

Yep, I take them to commercial Electroplate in Fresno. Been going there for years.

They have lost a few things of mine but have always found them

If these brackets end up in your bucket next time...you will know where to return them

Bob

Why i wouldn't have a clue who they would belong to HAHA!

The owner of Commercial Electro Plating, Dave McQuone died over 5 years ago. Dave took over from his dad and ran it for years. I heard Dave's wife took over running it, could be wrong. Dave and my oldest brother were life long Catholic school friends till pancreatic cancer took 'ol Dave. Between Comm Electro Plating and the Lucas family at Valley Chrome, another family friend, we never paid much if any for plating. Many crazy and funny stories out there amongst our families. Thanks for refreshing my memory Bob.

Yeah ,they are  both great guys ,i always enjoyed the trip over there and them showing me the process. I believe they were just starting another grey type coating the last time i was there ,it was a while ago .I still have a couple of buckets of the gold plated bolts and brackets .I liked the gold with the darker paints like black and darker greens on my cars .