JamesS

Boss 2 / big block wraparound tower retro fit

I guess you can if you can find them.  It would make me uncomfortable, personally, but that is just me being sentimental.  It is just a car part, but I figure those parts should be 'reserved' or 'preserved' for those lucky enough to have a real BOSS.

I have not seen any "great" aftermarket fully braced shock towers - probably a market for some enterprising soul, with a high tonnage press.  The multi-piece kits are serviceable, but require a lot of work, and look sketchy.   But then again, if you need a braced tower, who cares what it looks like.?

I would think that BOSS parts would rate up there with some of the Shelby stuff - expensive in any condition.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Dynacorn's are supposed to be the best replacement, and have heard that there's are a little thicker gauge then stock. If you want reinforcements Dr Gas sells the Pro Motorsport kit, similar to the Boss 302 modified towers. http://www.drgas.com/Mustang-Shock-Tower-RepairReinforcement-Kit_p_16.html

Those kits look awful when installed...

Stick with the factory piece

Bob

I installed the Pro Motorsports kit on my 1969 Mach 1.  Actually the person that did the body work did the installation.  The finished install looks good.  I wouldn't hesitate to install one of those kits.  Even on new shock towers.  They are supposed to add tremendous strength to the shock tower.  I think NPD also sells them.

Love your work! My towers are cracked and really, really bent. So they need to be replaced. Ive seen the Dynacorn parts and they look solid. I'm keen on the boss look in a Mach. My build is an m code Mach and Im building it in a trans am style. That's why I wanted to know if someone else has done it.

​IMG_20141004_171209_zpsslbko355.jpg

Ditto on the good work latoracing.....

This is the one mod for bracing that is a must, on all early Mustangs.  For cars with big block engines, the full wrap bracing is a good idea, even with all the work involved.  For racing it would be smart to do it all, of course.

The suggestion of using oem Cougar towers is a good one, not something I was aware of.  Good idea.  Cheaper than BOSS towers.....  Less work than bracing new Dynacorn towers too.  Although, the reality is that the Dynacorns would be perfectly suitable and give a long life of service.  They would also be brand new, slightly thicker gauge than oem, and have a warranty if there are any faults or problems.   

forgot to acknowledge latoracing for the images.  Thank you.

here is a shot of the fully welded brace.  The one all Mustang owners should do - almost like the 'Arning' drop in terms of improvement and negligible cost...IMG_20141004_173244_zpsifcglmff.jpg

Love your work! My towers are cracked and really, really bent. So they need to be replaced. Ive seen the Dynacorn parts and they look solid. I'm keen on the boss look in a Mach. My build is an m code Mach and Im building it in a trans am style. That's why I wanted to know if someone else has done it.

I'm doing a little different take on the T/A theme but including the 1" nose drop (that was really fun to do!) along with the above reinforcements. T/A cars are really neat and are not usually over done. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

forgot to acknowledge latoracing for the images.  Thank you.

Thank you for digging them out lol

Those kits look awful when installed...

Stick with the factory piece

Bob

How they look depends alot on the installer, and the final finishing. Lacto's home made braces look great.

As for towers themselves I would definitely go Dynacorn over used, even used towers in "good looking" shape are 47 year old metal. Unless you're doing a concours on a rare car I'd go new. JMHO

How they look depends alot on the installer, and the final finishing. Lacto's home made braces look great.

As for towers themselves I would definitely go Dynacorn over used, even used towers in "good looking" shape are 47 year old metal. Unless you're doing a concours on a rare car I'd go new. JMHO

Lacto s setup does look good but I have seen the majority of the kit ones look like crap. Yes it does matter very much the care the installer took

latoracing that sounds great! Do you have a thread on the nose drop? I am very interested in that. James

You can search the forum and find some threads containing information on how to do it. This is the thread that got me going in that direction. Trans am nose drop

I went a little overboard and remade the front aprons from scratch. I took a bunch of pics while I was doing this, that mod starts on page 25 of my build http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47781-1970-graber-green-project/page-25

Latoracing- what thickness steel did you make the outer braces from? I'm interested in adding this style of bracing

Thanks Shaun

The wraps were made out of 3/16" CRS (7 gauge) and the inner doublers  along with the "Boss 302" plates on the bottom outside were all made out of 11ga CRS. Heres a link to where I put them in on my build, if you want to check them out. http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47781-1970-graber-green-project/page-26