1969Fstback

Front Battery Apron replacement

I am going to be replacing the battery apron and want to know what if any thing I need to do to make sure nothing moves out of place.  Do I need to brace the shock tower to ensure it doesn't move and so on.  Or if anyone has words of wisdom on making the job easier?

thanks

I am going to say against drilling. When drilling you often hit into the base metal of the piece behind it.

After doing many inner aprons over the years, I cut the apron out just inside of where it lap joins the other piece.

Then I use a grinder on the spot weld to thin the material to the point that the remaining strip of the apron peels off with little effort.

As you are grinding you know you are getting close as a blue circle will apprear around the spot weld as the metal gets thin and cannot move away the heat. Once there the metal will tear off leaving a small nub where the spot weld was. A grimder will knock that down flat.

One of the reasons I do this is that I use a spot welder to install the replacement piece so I want full thickness of the material I am welding to

Bob

Ranster is Right as well... Depends on what method ya wanna use really.

Drilling IMHO is a little faster but eats a bit more metal up...

Grinding is a little slower and makes a lot of sparky mess but is cheaper than drilling....Those bits aint cheap and 1-2 good grinding discs will tear a whole car apart LOL

I replaced the floors, qtrs, tail lights section, fillers, and qtr drop off already. Unfortunately I am all to familiar with the devil spot welds. I have spot weld cutters and have used the grinder method or edge of cut off wheel. More worried about when I breat the apron loose from the radiator support that nothing springs.

It shouldn't go anywhere... But when you cut it loose the core support will move a bit on that side possibly depending on what kinda loads you have on the car and what locations those loads are, But the core support is thin and easily moved into place lol....

Heck if your really worried about it take a small piece of metal dowel rod and tack it to the top of the core support and top of shock tower and that will keep it located in place for sure... But I wouldn't be worried about it