Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Next step here is to take the door, lock out, and somehow painted, or coat it back.

Actually have a set of door lock cylinders from late 1980s Mustang, that are black from the factory, I’m gonna try to install those. Not sure if they fit.

Continued my Dynamat installation on the rear of the car.   I also sourced some 1/2' inch high density foam on Amazon to use as a pad for where the convertible top sits on top of the wheel well.  The installation manuals show this, but mine was long gone by the time I got my car.  It is a nice product, with very strong peel-and-stick adhesive.  I may use it elsewhere on the car.

IMG_1896.thumb.jpeg.2983bbd44b10d16994ce81912cc2470e.jpegIMG_1897.thumb.jpeg.d1f53607d6bbfb036c9cf58bc54382d1.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

On 11/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, Vicfreg said:

I had both the main dash and the driver side panels finished and painted in  body color. I just put it together.

I have the VHX silver face gauges, with blue backlight. It should be a great look when installed.

IMG_1878.jpeg

Love that look. I did the door inserts in the same silver as my gauge bezels. 

Screenshot_20231125-155210_Drive.jpg.7a23a6a7c020a9a3ca5c61cb4d3e3e60.jpg

20231125_154949.thumb.jpg.2867dfabf7ae03a439a5e97d3892cb8d.jpg

Yes, great minds think alike.   I got some inserts from Mustangs to Fear, and had them painted at the same time.  They are like an ABS plastic, and I have to use panel bond to attach the to the door.

I really like the vertical piece of molding with the Mustang Horse emblem.  What kind of molding is that?  Also see the bent metal trim that goes around the door handle.  Did you make all of this?  Very cool.

I have a Moto-Lita wheel like yours in my '68.  I love the look but I find it very thin for my hands.   For my '70 I am using a Billet Specialties type wheel that is much thicker.

2 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Yes, great minds think alike.   I got some inserts from Mustangs to Fear, and had them painted at the same time.  They are like an ABS plastic, and I have to use panel bond to attach the to the door.

I really like the vertical piece of molding with the Mustang Horse emblem.  What kind of molding is that?  Also see the bent metal trim that goes around the door handle.  Did you make all of this?  Very cool.

I have a Moto-Lita wheel like yours in my '68.  I love the look but I find it very thin for my hands.   For my '70 I am using a Billet Specialties type wheel that is much thicker.

Thanks. The horizontal molding is handmade by my son, cuz there were a couple of holes in there that needed covered. He also made the entire door trim panel, as the arm rest came too far inward for my door bars to clear.  The lower trim around the door handle is also handmade from aluminum. I do need to get a pull handle on it. Thinking about using one from a 67-68 Mustang. He thought the Mustang emblem would fit right in, which I think it does. He has a pretty good eye, and can weld like nobody's business. 

Ya, that steering wheel ring is too narrow for me also. And it gets slick with just a bit of sweat on your hands. I plan on getting a leather cover from Wheelskins. A fellow Mustanger has one, and they are a quality product. 

Yes, he did a nice job.

I have a ‘68 coupe.  The door handles are not compatible with the ‘69-‘70 mechanism.  They are not a “pull” type, they flip up so you can rotate the lever up to open the door.

The wheelskins are nice, but need to be sewn/stitched on.  My skill level for needle and thread is pretty low……

IMG_1902.jpeg

Installed my black door locks.  Originally tried some knock-off locks to see if they fit. Then sourced some Ford Service Parts from '80s Vintage Mustang. Really high quality parts.  The Ford parts are really solid.

locksdec23.jpg

locksdec23a.jpg

doorhandledec23.jpg

Also got my passenger side dash panel attached, final item was to install the screws to attach the panel to the map light assembly.  Used 1-1/2" #6 SS Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws with #6 SS washers, so it would not damage the paint.   Came out good.  Installed my "Mustang" emblem on the dash.   

IMG_1880.jpeg

passengerdashscrewsdec23.jpg

passengersidedashmaplightdec23.jpg

passdashdec23.jpg