Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Thanks!.   Like CSNY said….. “It’s been a long time coming….”

Hope to have the interior in by Thanksgiving… we will see.

In no rush at this point, taking my time.

Only current challenge is that I really need to lower my shaker scoop down by around 1/2”, it is too high.

I have the lowest profile air cleaner base I can find.   But my Performer RPM intake, and 351W deck height are not working in my favor.

I have an aftermarket fiberglass base and mid-plate.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

RPM, no carb spacer. I have a EFI throttle body that is the same height as a Holley 4 barrel. But, that would be a big problem if I did have one as I using a Performer RPM intake, which is higher than stock.

RPM, no carb spacer. I have a EFI throttle body that is the same height as a Holley 4 barrel. But, that would be a big problem if I did have one as I using a Performer RPM intake, which is higher than stock.

Oh. Ok. Good fix.  Good to know

I actually thought about doing that but had the clearance.

I also didn’t want to use the Torker as it is a single plane intake. 

Previous experiences years ago with a Torker on a 289 were good but I remember that the 289 was much happier in a higher rpm range than I plan to drive this current car in.

Since with this car I’m running an EFI, perhaps these days that’s not that much of a problem as it was with a 4bbl back then.

Thanks for the info!

Vic

Making some progress on my dash getting it ready to put in the car.

Just installed my USB socket retrofit into my cigarette lighter spot.

This is going to hook to my boss head unit, USB feeds and allow me to use one USB plug as a charging port, and the other USB plug for Apple CarPlay.

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

On 10/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, Vicfreg said:

Making some progress on my dash getting it ready to put in the car.

Just installed my USB socket retrofit into my cigarette lighter spot.

This is going to hook to my boss head unit, USB feeds and allow me to use one USB plug as a charging port, and the other USB plug for Apple CarPlay.

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

This is on my list of things to do - what USB plug did you buy, can you post a link? 

Will do.  Just have to find the Amazon link.

This involves taking a multi-bit and drilling out the center of the lighter bezel to fit the USB plug.

I took my time and did this with a vice that had rubber jaw protectors, lots of painters tape around the bezel, and using a veneer caliper to check the ID so I would not make the hole too large.

Only downside is it has 3 foot long cables that you have to tie wrap to keep out of the way. Also has male USB ends.

I needed male ends to plug into my head unit.  

Plenty around that use 12vDC power feed just for USB charging if you don’t need the make USB

I dug out my A pillar molding, which, as you know, are unique for convertibles.
These are typical of most of the original ones, and in that V-shaped area, there us supposed to be a plastic tab that allows you to screw the molding in at the bottom of the a pillar near the windshield.

I decided just drill a second hole in the main molding piece down near the bottom of the A pillar.  I drove the clearance hole, and then a slight countersink into the plastic.  

Then I installed it with the upper screw, got it allined correctly, marked the location, and drilled a 1/8 inch hole into the pillar. Mounted up perfectly.

I will touch up the countersunk portion where it shows a little plastic.  

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1798.jpeg

Looks nice. I had my visor brackets and interior windshield headed powder coated black. To me with all the trim around the sides of the windshield being black it looked off having it be chrome at the top.