alex

Belt routing after manual steering conversion

I am going to convert my 351W Mustang to manual steering using a center link, pitman arm and idler arm.  Once I remove all of the power steering components including the steering pump, what options do I have to belt routing for the water pump?  Is there a water pump pulley that places the groove further out to combine the water pump with the alternator belt?

Like Rsmach1 mentioned, stock with or without power steering there is a belt that drives both the water pump and the alternator.  With power steering there is a second belt that drives the water pump and power steering pump.  Removing the power steering pump should not cause an issue for the alternator.  Maybe a previous owner messed around with the pulley setup.

There are factory single groove crank and water pump pulleys for cars that did not have power steering or air conditioning.  There are also factory two groove crank and water pump pulleys for cars that had power steering and no air conditioning.

For this situation d/s means the lower radiator hose is on the Drivers Side of the car (1970 and newer, which yours should be) and p/s means the lower radiator hose is on the Passenger Side of the car (1969 and older).  Otherwise p/s can also mean power steering.

Ahh, right, driver's and passenger's side.  I did not follow the correlation between d/s and p/s, and a water pump until it was spelled out.  The water pump outlet is on the driver's side.  

The water pump pulley is a single groove while the crank pulley is a triple groove.  In my case, the alternator belt does not drive the the water pump.  The power steering belt drives the water pump.  Perhaps with a double groove water pump pulley the outermost groove would line up with the alternator pulley.

Here is a picture of the pulleys I have.

post-14529-0-89650500-1443913065.jpg

That looks like the correct pulley for a power steering car that also has A/C.  The reason I say also with A/C is because A/C cars had slightly smaller diameter water pump pulleys to speed up the water pump and increase cooling.

For situations like yours I tend to go to Perogie Enterprises for used parts.  Other members here know of other sources for used parts but I don't.  Perogie's know these cars very well so you don't need to know exactly what you need.  You can explain the situation to them and I'm sure they can get you the correct used pulley setup.  Since your car also doesn't have the A/C installed they can probably set you up with the correct crank pulley as well.  Ultimately you would have a single groove crank and water pump pulley for your setup.  Double groove pulleys will allow you to reinstall the power steering in the future.

For used parts Perogie is a little high but they ship so you're not running around chasing used parts and they are usually helpful when you are uncertain what you need.  Perogie's used parts are cleaned, painted, tested as needed and ready for install.  but I would ask to be sure.  I have bought from them several times and a couple of times they asked if I wanted something ready for install or in an as removed dirty condition.  Perogie often has parts at different condition levels so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Here is a link, http://www.perogie.com/perogiemain.htm  Their website is being rebuilt but they tend to be a place you have to call.

Thanks for narrowing this down in less than 12 hours.  I would have never been able to figure out what exact pulley was needed.  I will start on the forum(s) with a wanted ad and move on from there is needed.

The crank pulley was necessary on mine, I also had a A/C -P/S crank pulley and interferes with the correct WP pulley for non PS. Unfortunately the correct pulleys are for a 70-73 302-351 which includes a Boss 302. Therefore they are usually listed that way and command $$

These pixs are not mine

With the cost of going Perogie or even the a/m like CJPony, have you looked into aftermarket aluminum pulleys? I also went manual steering and got a 3 single grove pulley set from CVF for around $135.

post-5441-0-34961700-1444059798.jpg

post-5441-0-35135800-1444059840.jpg

RPM, do those aluminum pulley's from CVF underdrive or overdrive the water pump like all of March's pulleys?  Or does CVF offer stock ratio pulleys?  A stock ratio aluminum set might be worth considering.

I would imagine a double groove used stock setup is fairly common and would be less expensive than a single groove used stock setup.

CVF's pulley packages can come with or without underdrive/overdrive.

I just bolted on a pulley setup from them last night.  It's a quality-made product, but my setup required some minor shimming (couple of washers) to get the alternator lined up properly, and some shaving (hand sanding) to open up the hole in the water pump pulley so it wasn't a 'press fit'.  None of those modifications were a big deal at all.