Sign in to follow this  
Mkeenan

Needs some help with brakes

So I bought my car last week and the only major problem is the brakes are horrible at best. Initially they start to grab but after 1/4 brake pedal they don't grab any more. I tried to bleed the brakes but I can't pull any fluid through the bleeders with my vacuum pump, so I went old school and used a bottle. I still get nothing. I pulled the master cylinder then tried to pull and ouch though the brake lines. Nothing, so I started to pull the distribution block and twisted the brake lines. My question is where is the best place to by new brake lines and a distribution block? I want pre bent brake lines but no one around me carries them. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Keenan

Are you familiar with or tried the major Mustang parts Places? I buy most of my parts thru NPD or Summit Racing. Just google 69 Mustang and a bunch of suppliers will pop up.

I got my new brake lines through Mustangs Plus,located in Stockton, Ca. They are about 2hrs drive time away from me. So when I ordered , I had the product here the next day. I often like to shop CJ Pony usually offers Free Shipping, only thing occasionally some items might be on back order. But pricing is decent and free fast shipping. I like them.

What brake system are you running ? Power disc/drum or manual drum ? Is it 69/70 OE ? Sounds as though you have ' twisted ' one or more of the brake lines at the fender wall ? Would be nice if it/they were the short ones that go to the master cylinder. Hopefully the right front and the LONG rear brake lines are still OK ? The rear drum brake wheel cylinders are probably clogged. You can either try to clear them, remove the bleeders, or just get new ones. I use NAPA for most all my brake parts. Most everyone here has some experience with brake repairs and restoration. So very likely you can get your answers here. Lets us know the overall condition of your ride. Is this a case of severe long term rusted project car or just delayed maintenance of a driver ? Brian

post-33155-0-90215300-1440342958.jpg

Thanks guys. Well it looks like I need new brake lines. 2 of them twisted the tube and broke when I was removing them from the dist block. 2 of the flare nuts won't come out of the dist block. Oh well you gotta pay to play I guess. I think it was a lack of maintence, when I sucked out the master cylinder there was a lot of dirt and dust particles at the bottom. The fluid was pretty bad as well.

Oh I know all about that. I got a few atvs that turned into race quads. I had a 99 mustang gt that had a bad intake manifold gasket, that little project turned into pulling the motor with a full engine rebuild. Cams, stroker kit, blower and nitrous. The wife was not pleased!