henkster

1970 mustang using 1969-68 or earlier parts

Guys, I need some advise.

I have a 1970 coupe and the Deck panel between the trunk lid and the rear window has a rotted thru hole.

I can't find this part for a 1970.

Can I use the 1967 coupe part and try to fit it in or just cut a piece and weld it in to place.

Thanks in advance

Henk

This damage is from when she had a phantom convertible top on her.

When I bought the car it was ripped so I took it off and have to fix holes in the roof too but they are very small.

Other than that she has the common rust problems. Quarter panels and a little on the doors.

post-15968-0-25572700-1437976177.jpg

post-15968-0-23588800-1437976254.jpg

post-15968-0-63800700-1437976647.jpg

Guys I have no idea what the first pic is???? I couldnt delete it.

And have no idea why it posted the pic upside down?? I did this from my phone so i guess it doesnt work too good.

Anyway the bottom pic is from before i changed the rear shocks and small wierd tire.

The first pic is from right after the tire change and now she sits level since i used airshocks so i can load up the kids and go cruising without worries of bottoming out

post-15968-0-24760200-1437976857.jpg

That is not that big of a deal to repair if you can weld.

Where are you located? If you cannot weld perhaps a member here can help you out.

Clean the area the best you can. If it is way worse than it looks now I do have a parts car we can cut the piece out of.

It also looks like you have holes in the roof, if you can find a donar car it may help to cut the pieces out from there

Bob

Bob, i live in northern utah. You are right about the other holes. They had/have pop rivets in there thats how they mounted the rubber strips to staple the canvas roof too.

I dont know how to weld "yet" but willing to learn.

There is also a hole on the outterside where the roof comes down. Those are my two major problems and i heard that you still cant weld rust so i have to sand it down quite a bit to get to solid metal. 1970 coupes are hard to find and if i can find one they want a nice$$ for it.

Thanks for the advise and keep it coming

You either need to learn to weld or learn to use panel bond.

I prefer welding.

I did some looking and of that panel is really bad they do make that part for a convertable that you could use but would have to convert it for the coupe. Or you can get a used part to patch in

First thing I would do is to get a 4" grinder ( the one at harbor freight is decent for the money) and get a cupped wire wheel.

Wire wheel the hell out of the rusted areas and you will start to see how far the rust goes and where the good metal starts.

From there take some pictures and post them so we can give further advice.

If you need to call me I can talk you through some of the stuff you need to do

Bob

I am thinking of working on it and after i take the window out see what the difference is and i hope the joggle that the rear window sits in is the same as earlier models so i can cut the bad part out and weld a new piece in without messing toomuch up

Have you considered talking to people at your local race track and find out who the local fabricator is and have him bend the panel for you?

I'm having a local fabricator put my rear body panel and patch panels in and are debating on using my cars 1/4 extension panels to rearbody panel to fabricate some of these panels since no one makes them for 1970 coupes

BandBSTANGS, i havent thought of it yet. I am in contact with RSANTER who has some parts and i am thinking of going to "cut and paste" first so cut the old part and weld in the new/ other part. As for the rust on the side next to the window i guess i have to put my sheetmetal skills to work.

I was a aircraft sheetmetal guy but we dont rivet things on cars like we do with airplanes. So I have to learn the skill of welding i assume in order to get this project going

OK moderators what is this automatic attachment stuff that I cant delete!!!!!!!!

It may be possible to use a 67-68 piece as patches The window channel should be close to the same as the 69 .The 69 may be wider towards the trunk lid than the 67-68 ..They all use the same molding clip so the channel must be close to the same .The piece would be cheap enough to try, and may save time making patches.

You need to wire wheel and grind back to see just how bad it is. From the initial look I think I would be tempted to make the patches for those areas as there is not a lot of shape there or complicated shape there.

The passenger side qtr on my donar car has some damage to that may give some good patch panels for your car.

The driver qtr is good so I would not want to cut that one up.

You really won't know for sure till you dig into it some more

Bob