Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

instrument cluster restorations

Hey all,

Getting ready to push the button on complete resto of both deluxe instrument/ clock clusters. I'm looking to get rechrome/ detailed and recalibration. Is the Tachman still the go to guy? I thought there was one guy on here that was going to get rechroming done.

thanks

I've heard he can be difficult at times.  I've only done one transaction with him and it wasn't successful.  I purchased a deluxe speedometer from him that he had repaired, calibrated, and restored the odometer back to zero miles.  The speedometer smelled of cigarettes so bad I had to leave it in my back yard for a week to air out.  Then, the odometer worked for 1 tenth of a mile and locked up.  I understand it's not a new part.  So I enquired about repairing it and he was a bit rude and said it is commonly caused by a poor fitting aftermarket speedo cable.  I mentioned my cable was an NOS Ford item but that did nothing.  I'm typically not one for confrontation so I cut my losses and purchased another speedometer from Perogie Enterprises.

Anyway, I hate to sound negative but that was my experience with Tachman.  But I don't know who else does complete turn key instrument panel restorations.  Frankly, I would disassemble and assemble it myself and find sources for rechroming the bezels and repairing the gauges.  They are fairly simple to assemble.

In case you didn't know, they now sale the New instrument Bezels with all the chrome in the right places and they are very well done and fit great.

I used one when I redid my stuff with Autometer gauges and I couldn't be happier.

I have a pretty nice set of gauges minus the Ammetur gauge that I sent to the cougar guy for a friends core deposit, I would let ya have them Cheap.

Simply wipe em down and get a new Bezel and pop it all together.... Your clock is simple really, just take it apart and clean and lube it and chances are it will work, that's what I did.

I had both my instrument panels restored by the Tachman. They look new, mint. My instrument bezel was cracked badly, he tried to repair it, but wasn't happy with the result, so he gave me a new one free of charge. I haven't installed and tested then yet, but I'll recommend him. I understand that 1969_Mach1 had a bad experience, but if the dude did bad work, he wouldn't be in business by now. He's living off his internet reputation. I mailed him and then later called him and discussed what I wanted done. Seemed like a nice guy to me.

I had both my instrument panels restored by the Tachman. They look new, mint. My instrument bezel was cracked badly, he tried to repair it, but wasn't happy with the result, so he gave me a new one free of charge. I haven't installed and tested then yet, but I'll recommend him. I understand that 1969_Mach1 had a bad experience, but if the dude did bad work, he wouldn't be in business by now. He's living off his internet reputation. I mailed him and then later called him and discussed what I wanted done. Seemed like a nice guy to me.

Yeah, I've seen pictures of his work and it looks great.  And your instrument panels likely look and will work great.  The fact that he offered no resolution to a speedometer he sold with an inoperative odometer and it smelled bad of cigarette smoke were my issues.  I managed to eliminate the cigarette smoke odor and I would have been happy if he said ship it back and I'll look at the odometer.  That's what most businesses would do (even if they thought it wasn't their fault).  But he was insistent I did something wrong an there was nothing wrong with the odometer portion of the speedometer.

For a long time Tachman was the only source for repairing and restoring gauges in classic cars.  I think that has helped him.  Again, his work looks great. But I think his ego steps in the way sometimes.  If you need any repairs on his work or have questions on how he did something you might not get such friendly responses.

7 or 8 years ago, I had my tach and speedo for my 68 redone by the tachman. The workmanship was excellent. I was very pleased with the work but he was an absolute a**hole to me on the phone. I gave him no reason to explode and go off on me. When I called, he simply answered the phone very agitated and all I asked was if he received my instruments that I shipped to him 2 weeks earlier and understood from my enclosed letter what I wanted done. He was screaming at me telling me he could get some work done if people would quite calling him. I bit my tongue and told him to call me when he could be more civil and hung up. A week later I get an email my parts are done and that I needed to contact him with payment information. I called and gave him the information. Never an apology or mention of how he was to me on the phone. 

I have seen him chime in a few times since then on some of the forums chastising people who commented how they were treated by him. He was quite disrespectful. I find it difficult to do business with someone who's disrespectful.