Sign in to follow this  

The Fun Continues

Walking out to my car last night and it decided to drop another lump of disappointment... looks like my right front RCD shock blew like a cheap hooker...

20150420_191141.jpg20150420_191146.jpg

time to call RCD and see what we can do...

Thanks, it seems the warranty is multi-faceted, it goes in my case, mustangs-plus for RMA ship to RCD, to Bilstein. If Bilstein approves, check is cut to RCD, RCD cuts a check to Mustangs plus which in turn sends me a new shock whole process is 1-2 MONTHS. I'll keep y'all posted. Silver lining is I may get new tires and wheels as a by-product. i wanna get stickier all seasons and i'm limited on my choices with 14" wheels....

Unfortuntely, barnett468 is right.  The job of a shock it to dampen suspension oscillations.  They have no affect on how far the suspension will compress.  You have to roll the fender lip, get different size tires, get wheels with a different offset, or all three.

An argument can be made that a high pressure performance shock can add resistance to the spring rate, or at least how quickly the spring can compress. That's why the car feels like it handles better going around corners after bolting on a set of Bilsteins and setting than to their stiffest setting. Do you think that better handling comes from simply controlling spring oscillations?

While the shock may not change the overall "spring rate", or overall amount of force it would take to compress the spring fully, it can affect how quickly the spring can compress. The shocks interaction with springs in performance applications are why we have adjustable shocks.

yes, the shock does NOT change the actual rate of the spring but that is irrelevant because as Max Power implied, it does add resistance to bottoming so one can describe how it does that in terms they prefer but i assure you that if one removes their shocks, their suspension will travel MUCH further when hitting a bump.

another simple test is to remove a good shock then take a 3 lb hammer and hit it as hard as you can . . if it is stiff like a koni, it will only move around 2" inches, i guarantee you.

the obvious prob is as mentioned though which is the fact that the tires hit the body which they never do when they are the proper size.