machm1970

fox body starter in my '70 302?

They interchange.  Just make certain it is the correct starter.  Manual and Auto trans starters are different.  I have one on my 69 Mach 1 with a 351W.  Although mine came from my local Ford dealer.  Wiring changes are simple.

1)  The battery cable from the starter relay on the fender to the old style original starter gets moved.  Simply connect it to the same post on the original fender mounted starter relay as the + battery cable from the battery.  The battery cable terminal on the new starter solenoid now has battery power all the time. 

2)  Now make up a 10 ga. or heavier wire to go from the small terminal (start terminal) on the new starter's solenoid to the now empty big post on the original fender mounted starter relay that use to have the batt cable from the original old style starter.

END RESULT:  New starter has constant battery power to the battery post terminal on the new starter's solenoid.  When you turn the key to crank. the fender mounted starter relay engages and battery power goes through it to the 10 ga wire you made and to the small terminal (start terminal) on the new starter's solenoid.  This engages the new starter's solenoid and the starter cranks.

****  You will wonder why you didn't do this sooner and will never go back to the old style starter again! ****

Excellent indeed, has anyone used the starter from db electric? Price is way cheaper than a rebuilt from Azone, just curious about quality.

I put a dbElectrical starter on mine about 4 years ago when my OEM started acting up and I got frustrated trying to repair it (I figured I would eventually repair it and put it back in - I'm funny that way) It's been a great starter for me - well made and works flawlessly. I don't start my car every day, but it's been good for a weekend warrior. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, very good value for us financially challenged types.