jgkurz

Ignition Switch - Is there an accessory position?

Hi All, I am pondering how to wire up an after market radio and am curious if the 69 ignition key has an accessory position. I am at work and not near the car. I would like to turn on the radio when the car is not running. (car shows, drive-in, etc) . I do not want to power up my MSD, coil, and other items on the 12v switched circuit. 

Thank you!

Hi All, I am pondering how to wire up an after market radio and am curious if the 69 ignition key has an accessory position. I am at work and not near the car. I would like to turn on the radio when the car is not running. (car shows, drive-in, etc) . I do not want to power up my MSD, coil, and other items on the 12v switched circuit. 

Thank you!

yes it does have an accessory position.

You do but it might power the ignition coil at the same time.  I remember reading about aftermarket electronic ignitions getting fried because people left the key in the accessory position.

You might want to run a dedicated fused hot lead to the stero and use the on/off switch on the stereo.

You do but it might power the ignition coil at the same time.  I remember reading about aftermarket electronic ignitions getting fried because people left the key in the accessory position.

You might want to run a dedicated fused hot lead to the stero and use the on/off switch on the stereo.

I've not heard that, but I do know that leaving the key in RUN with the engine not running is definitely bad for points and I would suspect electronic ignition systems.  Rarely do ignition systems require ACC power: they almost always use RUN lines for power. 

The ACC position is one click counter-clockwise from the key insert position (OFF).

I think with these old cars (need to double check) that the RUN position and the ACC position are the same thing.

I have not started my car in 3 years thought as I fix all the worn out stuff on it.

The ignition should not be energized with the key in the ACC position. Although what might be confusion is I seem to recall with the switch in the ACC position the instruments are on, at least the fuel and temp and oil pressure. Of course the oil won't move without the engine running and the temp won't move if the engine is cold. 

If the ignition circuit is fired from ACC position something is wired wrong.

Dave

I think with these old cars (need to double check) that the RUN position and the ACC position are the same thing.

I have not started my car in 3 years thought as I fix all the worn out stuff on it.

The ignition should not be energized with the key in the ACC position. Although what might be confusion is I seem to recall with the switch in the ACC position the instruments are on, at least the fuel and temp and oil pressure. Of course the oil won't move without the engine running and the temp won't move if the engine is cold. 

If the ignition circuit is fired from ACC position something is wired wrong.

Dave

Dave is correct and TexasEd is incorrect.  The difference between ACC and RUN is only that the ignition run lines are energized, as well as some instrument gauge lights and the voltage regulator lines become energized as well.  You can trouble-shoot just about everything electrically with the key in ACC except the ignition circuitry. 

Please avoid keeping the key in the RUN position without the engine running, as you'll burn up points in no time and possibly damage electronic ignition circuitry.

I did the same thing on my sound system. A toggle switch so it can be left on without the key in ign.  But on mine, I have it also set with a relay so a door also has to be open.  I did not want to be able to accidentially leave it on and drain the battery.  I figured any time I would want the tunes playing without a key, I will have a door open anyway.

Assuming an aftermarket radio, wouldn't it also be acceptable to connect the 12v ignition wire on the radio to constant 12v? Seems like that would solve the problem without adding another switch? Ideally I'd like the use ACC but it sounds like it powers more than just the radio. I suppose Ford knew what they were doing so maybe using ACC will work just fine. 

Assuming an aftermarket radio, wouldn't it also be acceptable to connect the 12v ignition wire on the radio to constant 12v? Seems like that would solve the problem without adding another switch? Ideally I'd like the use ACC but it sounds like it powers more than just the radio. I suppose Ford knew what they were doing so maybe using ACC will work just fine. 

What danno and Mach1Rider is talking about is putting the radio on its own designated circuit with its own switch so that when you are playing the radio at shows  or events the switch is in the locked position with no key in the switch. This does two things minimizes theft and any extra drainage on the battery  such as instruments   and any other accessory that might be accidentally left on.   

Dave