Sign in to follow this  
'70MACH1

Best car cover

I've bought a few covers over the years, can't remember brand exactly or from who but have yet to have one with an antenna provision built in, I have always had to punch a hole and insert a grommet which was included though.

General things I can say though.

1. Buy a breathable one! It's better to breath than to be 100% waterproof unless it was both with a Gortex backer.
  2. Check ahead for areas that can tear and proactively reinforce with duct tape or something from the back side. My second cover was because my hood pins wore a hole thru my first one.
  3. If you ever plan to use for outside storage and will secure it across and underneath from door to door use rope and cinch tight. When my car was under a car port in Texas I kept it covered and had a cable and lock that ran across rather loosely. A wild windy day rotated the whole thing around the car 45* once and left the lock bashing back and forth on my door swirling the paint. I probably would have lost the whole cover if not for the cable but that would have been better than ruining my paint.

Since it has been a while I cant exactly be sure which cover I ordered compared to their model names now. I am pretty sure the one I have is closest to the Deluxe model by the looks of the pictures of what the materials look like up close.

It is super soft and I don't have to worry about scratching but it took the dirt and occasional bird dropping at the time really well. Throw it in a large washer with some simple green is all the cleaning calls for. It is a bit heavy duty but still packs well to take to shows if need be.

My guess is with their line if you were only using it in a nice garage you would not need the platinum or ultimate as they show more for snow.

Also to Brian's point it does not come with a hole for the antenna. It does include a plastic grommet that you use to make your own hole. The material is soft and just a small X cut and then placing the grommet immediately keeps the cover to ripping to shreds like most plastic based covers. I have put it on a million times and no rips.

I got a cover earlier this year (don't remember the exact one. pretty sure it was Cover Craft) and it also didn't have a hole for the antenna, but it did come with an extra plastic grommet to install for the antenna.

There is some real crap out there that doesn't amount to much more than a dust cover. You get what you pay for. Wolf or Covercraft are the two big names in car covers. I think the top of the line material is Technalon or Technalon II Evolution developed Kimberly Clark. Very soft and breathable. I just bought one for my G37 convertible last month. They have universal fit type that fits a broad range of car lengths.  

Well I guess I am showing my age. I got a car cover for my newly painted 65 back in 2000. Parked in front of the shop, 4 miles from my house, went inside to the counter and told them I wanted a car cover. Made my selection of color and material and was then asked: do I want socks added for the mirrors and do I want an antenna grommet installed. I said yes to both. They already had the templates and measurements and an in store seamstress. A few hours later I had a car cover custom made to fit my car. Cost was about $125.00 and I am still using that same cover for the same car today. Just for kicks I called that shop recently. No answer but the answering machine said they had been bought by Covercraft and to leave a message. Now I have bought a few more car covers over the years and yes have had to locate for and install my own antenna grommets. Just saying it wasn't always that way. Brian

bought mine from micarcovers.the canvassshoppe.com

Expensive but I bought the Durafin.. had one for over 10 years..rode out a hurricane before my shop..heavy canvas and soft underneath.. Comes with the patch for antenna sleeve ... but you can get a antenna cover that goes over it and the hole... just have to request it.. 

I've bought a few covers over the years, can't remember brand exactly or from who but have yet to have one with an antenna provision built in, I have always had to punch a hole and insert a grommet which was included though.

General things I can say though.

• Buy a breathable one! It's better to breath than to be 100% waterproof unless it was both with a Gortex backer.
  • Check ahead for areas that can tear and proactively reinforce with duct tape or something from the back side. My second cover was because my hood pins wore a hole thru my first one.
  • If you ever plan to use for outside storage and will secure it across and underneath from door to door use rope and cinch tight. When my car was under a car port in Texas I kept it covered and had a cable and lock that ran across rather loosely. A wild windy day rotated the whole thing around the car 45* once and left the lock bashing back and forth on my door swirling the paint. I probably would have lost the whole cover if not for the cable but that would have been better than ruining my paint.

you were in texas?????

you were in texas?????

Yes, only for just over a year though. The front bumper in my sig is blocking the plate with a CARS smiley but that picture was taken there. I lived in Flower Mound and worked in Irving from 2/2001 until 4/2002.

topdown1.jpg