Sign in to follow this  
motorhead91

cant seem to find this part?

Hey guys i got a 69 coupe. Tail light panel was shot so got a new one. As i took it out found that the Support panels that connect to the rear quater panels were rotten. Looked it up but only come up for fast back not coupe. Will the fast back ones work?

No.... very different. There was a thread where someone went through pretty significant effort to get them to fit... you might try searching. I'm not sure what they are technically called. You might be better off trying to find someone cutting up a coupe and get them to cut those pieces off for you.

Hey guys i got a 69 coupe. Tail light panel was shot so got a new one. As i took it out found that the Support panels that connect to the rear quater panels were rotten. Looked it up but only come up for fast back not coupe. Will the fast back ones work?

Yes unless someone has started making them in the last couple of years or so they aren't remanufactured for the 69 coupe . finding good used ones or fabricating them is your only choice. I have heard that some has modified the fastback one to fit the coupe and would be a good start than starting from scratch to fab a set.

Edited by det0326

Yes unless someone has started making them in the last couple of years or so they aren't remanufactured for the 69 coupe . finding good used ones or fabricating them is your only choice. I have heard that some has modified the fastback one to fit the coupe and would be a good start than starting from scratch to fab a set.

Thanks! im gonna try to find a donar car first worst comes to worst. Time for some metal fab lol. Checked out your car looking good man! Keep up the good work!

Yeah that seems to be the Option. You know of any junk yards by us that would have a 69 coupe?

None that have any old Mustangs in them. I have purchased some body parts from a couple guys on VMF that are in Virginia & one in Oregon that might be able to help with body parts. 1st one is Vamustang chrismstage@yahoo.com 2nd one is Horsehead (James) Blue Ridge Classic Mustangs http://www.usedmustangparts.net or 3rd one is 4280 (Troy) from Oregon. Hope that helps.

Mike.

I had to make my own, here is a link to the blog article:

http://www.theracg.com/2014/02/more-mustang-unobtainium-trunk-corners/

The other part that is not made is the top of the trunk corner.  I had to modify the 68 coupe parts to make them work on the 69-70:

http://www.theracg.com/2014/02/making-the-trunk-top-corner/

Hope this helps.

You can always try scotty in oxford nc. He is always cutting up 69/70 mustang for parts.  You can find him on www.craigslist.com in raleigh nc area. Search for 69 mustang and look for him in oxford. he sells seats and other 69/70 parts. i have been to his house and he has everything there. tons of mustangs parts and cars. he does not ship alot of stuff but he may be able to help you out.

I had to make my own, here is a link to the blog article:

http://www.theracg.com/2014/02/more-mustang-unobtainium-trunk-corners/

The other part that is not made is the top of the trunk corner.  I had to modify the 68 coupe parts to make them work on the 69-70:

http://www.theracg.com/2014/02/making-the-trunk-top-corner/

Hope this helps.

Not to side track but is that your car?

Not to side track but is that your car?

Yes,

I've been working on it for about 3 years now.  I need to update my blog been busy at work so it it's either work on the mustang or blog about it, and you can guess which wins :)

Yes,

I've been working on it for about 3 years now.  I need to update my blog been busy at work so it it's either work on the mustang or blog about it, and you can guess which wins :)

I took a good look thru your site when you posted the above link, I couldn't find what your plan for it is though? Someone obviously went thru a lot of trouble to add so much '70 stuff to it, the ignition key placement and quarter scoops were like the only sign it's really a '69 and it looks like you are going with 70 quarters now from what I saw. Aside from some of the Shelby fiberglass is the plan to keep it looking like a '70?

I took a good look thru your site when you posted the above link, I couldn't find what your plan for it is though? Someone obviously went thru a lot of trouble to add so much '70 stuff to it, the ignition key placement and quarter scoops were like the only sign it's really a '69 and it looks like you are going with 70 quarters now from what I saw. Aside from some of the Shelby fiberglass is the plan to keep it looking like a '70?

Pakrat,

Yes i like the cleaner look of the 70, and when I bought the car the PO had put a 70 front end, and other parts on the car already.  I really need to update my blog, so far I have a rod & custom front and rear suspension installed, and a Coyote 5.0L with a Tremec T-56 6 speed installed (Had to remake the trans tunnel for that to fit with the right pinion angle).  I'll be doing some custom touches to the car including modifying the Shelby fiberglass.  My goal is have it look like a nice restoration with some fancy wheels from about 10 - 20 feet, then as you get closer, you will really start to notice a lot of subtle changes.

If you look through my early posts the car had a lot of rust.  It had sat outside in a bare earth floor car port for about 20 years.  so the top of the car was nice, but the bottom had rusted pretty badly.  so there was a lot metal replacement and rust removal.  The good thing is that I have personally touched every panel and seam and replaced or removed any rust, and sealed, or painted every panel.

I think from some of your early posts you put a Shelby trunk on your car too, right?  It seem like they all need a lot of work to fit correctly.  I went with the Tony Branda vacuum formed parts, but I still need to make a lot tweaks to get to fit well.  I know the rear of the car is right as the original trunk fits clean.  so the fiberglass is just wonky.

You can always try scotty in oxford nc. He is always cutting up 69/70 mustang for parts.  You can find him on www.craigslist.com in raleigh nc area. Search for 69 mustang and look for him in oxford. he sells seats and other 69/70 parts. i have been to his house and he has everything there. tons of mustangs parts and cars. he does not ship alot of stuff but he may be able to help you out.

You can also find Scotty Strickland on Facebook.  I think he is a member of all the 69-70 Mustang related groups.  His email is sbsmustang@yahoo.com

Pakrat,

Yes i like the cleaner look of the 70, and when I bought the car the PO had put a 70 front end, and other parts on the car already.  I really need to update my blog, so far I have a rod & custom front and rear suspension installed, and a Coyote 5.0L with a Tremec T-56 6 speed installed (Had to remake the trans tunnel for that to fit with the right pinion angle).  I'll be doing some custom touches to the car including modifying the Shelby fiberglass.  My goal is have it look like a nice restoration with some fancy wheels from about 10 - 20 feet, then as you get closer, you will really start to notice a lot of subtle changes.

If you look through my early posts the car had a lot of rust.  It had sat outside in a bare earth floor car port for about 20 years.  so the top of the car was nice, but the bottom had rusted pretty badly.  so there was a lot metal replacement and rust removal.  The good thing is that I have personally touched every panel and seam and replaced or removed any rust, and sealed, or painted every panel.

I think from some of your early posts you put a Shelby trunk on your car too, right?  It seem like they all need a lot of work to fit correctly.  I went with the Tony Branda vacuum formed parts, but I still need to make a lot tweaks to get to fit well.  I know the rear of the car is right as the original trunk fits clean.  so the fiberglass is just wonky.

I like the '69 look better but other than that my build has been along the same lines, the theme as I call it is "stock at a glance". I do have the Shelby trunk and end caps, I got mine from Maier Racing and out of the box fit was actually pretty good but because I was keeping my stock tail panel I had lots of labor to do on it anyway. One trick I used to make fitment easier was to add some adjustable late'80's early '90's bumpers to the underside, this made dialing it in easier. I have quite a few pic's on my gallery page.