MikeStang

Need Some Windshield Wiper Help

Okay since I finally finished my car I am starting to knock out the gremlins and here is one I have for yall.

I don't know if my wiper motor worked right or not when I got the car so I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and installed it.

It runs fine and when I turn it off it parks in the full UP position LOL.

I can shut the wipers off when they are at the bottom of the windshield and they will stay there a few seconds and then sure as shit they will just go up into the park position....Did I install the arm at the wrong clocking location or did I screw something up inside the motor LOL....Never had one go into park in the up Position, but it works like a champ every time

Usually when re-installing the wipers the procedure is to turn the wiper switch to on position, let the cowl pivots rotate a few times, turn the wiper switch to off, and then install the wiper arms in the position of your choice. Usually a pretty simple procedure. Have you tried this method ? Don't get me wrong here Mike just asking.Brian

Mike is it possible you have the polarity backwards on the wiper motor?

Update

To clarify what I was thinking is I think I read a post where you used an after market wire harness and was wondering if you may have the polarity reversed on the wire that parks the arms. Don.t know if it is even possible or not but was just wondering.

Edited by det0326

This is some info I found sometime back and saved it.

Bench testing a wiper motor

Assume 2 speed wipers. To check high speed, ground the case and apply power to the blue wire. To test low speed, apply power to the white wire.

To test park switch, ground case and jumper white to the black and apply power to the red. Unit should not run more than one full cycle and should park.

Illustrations are in the Ford Service manual Vol 3, section 35-07-12

What position in your pivot arm currently parked in? Pointing to the drivers side fender, or the passenger side fender?

For info the correct parked position faces the pivot arm toward the drivers side. At that position, the wiper blades should be flat at the base of the windshield.

Mike, 

I have the same problem.  The wipers were installed by a shop after some work was done and the same problem.  The arms park in the up position.  Do you have the picture?  I see you took one, but it was never included in the post.

Also, how difficult was it to take of the cowl panel and access the arm / motor / bolts?  My car is completely assembled... so hoping it isn't too terribly difficult.

Thanks.

Matt

Ok, so maybe mike will post a picture in the future.  If not, not a big deal.  His workaround was the fix.  The windshield wipers are working now after unbolting and turning the bracket 180 deg.  It now hits the up/down swing... instead of wipers trying to clean my cowl !!!

The biggest pain was pulling off the blades and cowl, besides that it was an easy fix.

Thanks!

Matt