Sign in to follow this  
Kaspar

Aftermarket scoops

I'm about to get my entire ´69 painted, but am thinking of changing the side and hood scoops to make it look more aggressive.

It seems like there are quite a lot of different scoops to choose from and I am wondering if you guys have some cool pictures of the 69 with some mean looking scoops.

I've got a Coupe, so not a Fastback 429, even though I wouldn't mind it looking like it.

Now I know some don't like messing with the original models and adding stuff that wasn't meant for that particular model, but I don't care, I wanna personalize it and maybe add some bigger side scoops and wider hood scoop. I actually think the 429 hood scoop is a little tall. Would rather have it being wider and lower like on the modern mustangs. Though the Mach-1 with turn signal light is a pretty neat feature

And some bigger side scoops like the Shelby Side Scoop might look cool too.

If you know of something cool that's out there, please let me know. Picture or link...

Thanks,

K

I can't help you with the scoops but will tell you that I am a FIRM believer in doing to YOUR car whatever YOU want to do with it.

To me, that is the beauty of this hobby; you can pursue it to whatever degree that you like. I am building an "H" coded 69 Mach 1 but am installing a 428SCJ motor with shaker, 31" rear, slats, spoilers, Dakota Digital gauges, Vintage Air Conditioner and a number of other mods I want, simply because it is MY car and I can do whatever I like with it.

Do a little photo chopping and find what YOU like.

BT

Edited by cobra3073

I can't help you with the scoops but will tell you that I am a FIRM believer in doing to YOUR car whatever YOU want to do with it.

To me, that is the beauty of this hobby; you can pursue it to whatever degree that you like. I am building an "F" coded 69 Mach 1 but am installing a 428SCJ motor with shaker, 31" rear, slats, spoilers, Dakota Digital gauges, Vintage Air Conditioner and a number of other mods I want, simply because it is MY car and I can do whatever I like with it.

BT

AMEN :punk:

To me, that is the beauty of this hobby; you can pursue it to whatever degree that you like. I am building an "F" coded 69 Mach 1 but am installing a 428SCJ motor with shaker, 31" rear, slats, spoilers, Dakota Digital gauges, Vintage Air Conditioner and a number of other mods I want, simply because it is MY car and I can do whatever I like with it.

BT

Preach it brother.

Bob

I have always though it would be cool,to remove the the side scoops on the 69 coupe, then there is an indentation in the qtr panel. Take that indentation and turn it into an inset scoop like the NASA/NACA scoops but wider. Do a little welding and you can make a real scoop that vents into the wheelwell

For the hood if you like the boss type scoop you could get a scoop off the 80s mustang. They are similar to the boss but not as tall. You can also look at the more modern scoop off the roush F150. Similar idea

Bob

I added the Mach 1 scoop to my coupe (I like the turn signals) and a blackout hood. Couldn't be more happy as I think the coupe is a little boring otherwise. When I was doing my research I discovered a lot of people had problems with the aftermarket Mach scoops, so I found a good used original scoop. I bought the components and stuff from NPD. Just FYI is you go that route.

Thanks guys.

I've actually got the Mach-1 scoop with the turn signal light. Are there any other hood scoops that have that?

I don't think I'm gonna go into welding too much on the side scoops, but I don't like the original "scoop" on the coupe and want something that looks more like air-intake, even though it might not have that actual function.

It is the '69 Shelby one. Even though you can find them at a lot of places they are not all equal and many do not actually come pre-cut for the screens. I bought mine from Tony Branda and was very pleased with the quality and they were already cut too, it was a rough cut but I smoothed it out with a dremel. Lot's of pic's at various stages in my gallery, my sig pic will take you there.

Most of the ones I have seen have just 3 bolts attached from the inside, two at the top and one at the bottom so you would have to drill new holes in the quarter. I wanted all my mod's to be reversible so I cut them off and put in 6 bolts that line up with the original holes from the stock vent. Since it is essentially just a big wind catcher I thought that would be safer too, I thought about making them functional but again I wanted everything reversible.