Protowrxs

Firewall Connector Pins Source?

Back story: I'd like to use some of the empty holes in the firewall connector for some other wiring needs between under hood and interior. To do this one needs the male and female pins that work in that connector.

Has anyone found a source for something that will work in that connector?

I can always go back through the main interior to engine hole if needed but if I can use the empty holes in the main connector it would be more desirable.

Searched quite a bit and find the actual connector housing but no pin kits or options.

Stephen

Considering this info is coming from a 58 year old abused brain, (concussions, alcohol) it could be wrong. However, I recall reading a post from Midlife, a member here who restores our wiring harnesses saying for the pins he reuses old pins because new ones are not available. A smart man would check with midlife.

Bob

Thanks all and thanks Midlife! Just ordered some to mess with.

Looks like my old computer wire crimper with similar pins only goes up to 20 gauge so may have to pickup a crimper as well. May just carefully solder/crimp manually for the few I plan on using.

If anyone else needs a few drop me a line and I can stick some in an envelope as I will not be needing all 100 for sure :-)

Stephen

If I recall, there are a couple different size pins in that bulkhead connector. Are both sizes available and from who, Newark.com as well?

There is one big connector for the power run into the car. All the rest look like the same size. Looks like they likely have different sizes.

Stephen

The pins are available in packs of 100: both male and female. You'll need a special crimping tool to use them though.

I get mine from Newark.com: stock number 82F9911 and 82F9912, Mate-N-Lock.

Hey Midlife, as I was afraid my crimper for similar pins is too small, can you recommend a link to a proper crimper?

Tried to PM you but received an error.

Edit: Unless the $766 tool is the only option, then I'll figure something else out for my needs. :-/

Stephen

Hey Midlife, as I was afraid my crimper for similar pins is too small, can you recommend a link to a proper crimper?

Tried to PM you but received an error.

Edit: Unless the $766 tool is the only option, then I'll figure something else out for my needs. :-/

Stephen

This one will work: http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PA-08/dp/B000W9HJNA

I have many crimpers for Molex, AMP, JST, etc. terminal pins and they are expensive. but I have found some of the "Engineer PA series crimpers" will do the job properly for a whole lot less money. Based on the terminal pin size, The Engineer PA-08 will work just fine. I use it. 

I'd have to dig up from my files where I bought my tools, but IIRC, it was a tool distributor in FL somewhere that sells ratcheting devices with multiple dies for all sorts of crimping applications.  The tool is marked "Eclipse" Lunar.

http://shop.eclipsetools.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_DTL?cat=100.0032