Sign in to follow this  
RCE1313

Need help on Interior Parts.

Guys, Needing some help on interior. My interior is completely gutted and I have no used interior parts from the original car when I bought except a few items like dashboard, gauges, and seats (not much).

My question is.... What good products should I use for redoing the interior? Has anyone else completely redid their interior and have suggestions on "must do" items and things "not to do"? I've seen kits on websites that offer a complete kit but I wasn't too sure of those and if I should piece mill it and do it myself. Any help on best pricing for seats, consoles, carpets, dynomat, etc would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/1964-1973-mustang-underlayment-insulation/c/10110460/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/quietride-solutions-acoustishield-complete-kit-fastback-1969-1970/p/UL42C/

RCE you saw my interior, and most of it was aftermarket.

My advice is as follows.

Rear panels for the pass area.. Get used original or order some stuff from mustangs to fear.

Door panels from John's mustang in Houston texas are Ford tooling panels and fit perfect.

The rest of the stuff you can get from any of the vendors as it is mostly the same.

I will be making a trip to Houston to See John if you wanna make an order I can pick it all up for you to save you some cash on shipping.

Order your Dynamat from Amazon.

I have a gallon of lizard skin you can have to spray your floors or roof if you like as well.

i do mca concours cars so i am picky and unless the ford tooling panels have improved, they are hard as a rock and they are very dark gray/black which looks like c__p . . virginia mustang panels are soft like orig and are dark black and are indiscernible from orig.

buy perfect orig seat foam made by american cushion industries sold thru npd . . all other foam is total c__p.

buy seat covers from tmi but they use chinese vinyl that is c__p and it is gray black instead of black so the color looks like c__p but it will match the c__p gray/black of the other brands of door panels, however, their sewing is exceptional so all the lines are straight . . distinctive can't sew a straight line if their life depended on it anymore and the binding they use is bigger than orig so it looks like c__p too . . buy original material from sms upholstery and send it to tmi and you end up with concourse perfect seat covers.

there is only one place that makes carpet and it is ACC and it is c__ p because it is not nearly as dense [loops per inch] as the original or as distinctive carpet used to be but unfortunately distinctively no longer sells carpet for some unknown reason [i guess they are going down the tiolet] so you are stuck with the ACC c__p.

a complete set of perfect orig interior panels with the trap door for fold down seat might be $1500.00 . . if you only need the piece next to the seat, buy the fiberglass ones and spend 3 hours thinning down critical places so they fit.

use a $600.00 ford tooling dash.

if you need the dash cluster or clock panel i may have them.

you need the door cup brackets, door cups, rubber door cup inserts, flat head number 8 phillips sheet metal screw, door panel stainless and lites and wiring and plastic shim behind the window crank handle and the aluminum cover for the handle and speaker grills if you want or need them.

i spray the interior plastic and metal panels with Wurth brand semi gloss black lacquer or sems tuxedo black or similar.

the bottom line as far as interior color goes is that you can have dark gray/black interior, which is not the original color and looks like c__p imo, or you can spend around $400.00 more and have it look bitchen/cool, ie rad, gnarly, gnarl, "bad" etc. or whatever the current vernacular might be for an object that is extremely aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by barnett468

All of the stuff that typically gets worn down with age and comes in an interior kit is what I bought new. Something like this:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme-interior-kit-mach-1-1969/p/IKM5CBWO-V/

And all the plastic/metal trim pieces that can be restored and repainted to look like new, I found used. With craigslist, ebay (sometimes), and swap meets, you can find great deals. One month I found two consoles from two different people within an hour away from me. I bought one for $50 because it had a 1.5" hole in the backside of it (which I repaired) and another for $25 from a who thought it was chinese junk because it had a button on it. It looked good to me, so I bought it and later found out it was just original to the later model 70's. Great condition, too. Or you can go buy a reproduction one new for $400+.

-Mike

I'm a believer in repairing and restoring original items before replacing with aftermarket pieces. For the plastic and metal parts I would seek out used pieces and restore them. Go to aftermarket as a last resort. If you haven't discovered, you will soon that most aftermarket items look nice and clean and shiny but are usually not quite right.

As for upholstery, I purchased my upholstery and foam from NPD. It was a long time ago, probably 10 years so I don't know if it was the imported material that barnett468 mentions. You will need foam. New upholstery will not fit old worn foam correctly. My door panels came from NPD as well. They look good and match the dash pad but are hard like barnett468 mentioned. My only other reference for door panels were the originals on my older brothers first Mach 1 back in the late 1970's/early 1980's. I remember those being fairly hard as well. Also, my new dash pad is hard matching the door panels and it is a Genuine Ford part that I purchased from my local Ford dealer about 10 years ago.

My carpet with underlayment pad is also an NPD product. I'm happy with it. I only insulated where it original insulation was installed and with OEM style reproduction stuff. I didn't use Dynamat or anything like that.

Most of my aftermarket items come from NPD mainly because they have a retail outlet and warehouse near where I live so shipping is fast and the least expensive.

Is there anybody that restores the original rear side panels? I have a reproduction set that seem to be thin abs. I have an original set that are fibreglass, but in very bad shape and the wrong color. Is there a how-to site on restoring these, or someone who does them very well?

the rear interior sides are a pain, you can build them up from the back to repair them, I have to do same thing, so the thing is, you can repair, but when repainting you also have to think about the paint building up and covering the pattern.

on my 66, I ordered new doors, it had the pattern in the metal areas, after painting and clearing you hardly notice, it looks all smooth.

I always use SEM products for interior panels that have textures. It applies in very thin coats and does a fairly good job of preserving the texture.

If you are having a difficult time sourcing some used interior panels, I would check with Perogie Enterprises. They are usually more pricey but typically have everything 69 and 70 Mustang related. Their website is not like other Mustang retail parts stores and not the most current so its best to call them.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

Is there anybody that restores the original rear side panels? I have a reproduction set that seem to be thin abs. I have an original set that are fibreglass, but in very bad shape and the wrong color. Is there a how-to site on restoring these, or someone who does them very well?

not to nice original appearance because it is impossible to replicate the texture . . the repair would look like a plaster patch that was sanded flat on the wall in your house . . you would easily see the non textured or poorly replicated textured area.