Sign in to follow this  
Lil John SVT

Roof Repair Piece

I started doing a little work on my car. I started removing the vinyl top. At the top corner of the rear glass on the drivers side I have a rust hole. About 1 1/2 x6 inches long. It's to the point where it goes thru the body lines of the roof around the edge. I want to cut the rust out and replace it with a patch, preferably a piece off of another coupe. Trying to bend and get the radius and bends right would be very hard. Any body knows where I can get a piece to patch the rusted out spot? I found one car but they wouldn't sell me the piece, even though the car is rotted to nothing. Thanks.

I have pics but can't post them from my phone.

You would need a picture hosting site like photobucket, then copy & paste them here. That is how I post pics here & on other forums.

I started doing a little work on my car. I started removing the vinyl top. At the top corner of the rear glass on the drivers side I have a rust hole. About 1 1/2 x6 inches long. It's to the point where it goes thru the body lines of the roof around the edge. I want to cut the rust out and replace it with a patch, preferably a piece off of another coupe. Trying to bend and get the radius and bends right would be very hard. Any body knows where I can get a piece to patch the rusted out spot? I found one car but they wouldn't sell me the piece, even though the car is rotted to nothing. Thanks.

You will probably have to make your own patch ,i have had to do just that on a few cars .Before quarters were available i had to make the upper rear quarter panel where the upper scoop goes on a 67 fast back,that required a little English wheel work. . I f you can get some pics we will know more about what you can do . A small patch like that should not be very difficult .

I would repair that in 3 pieces...just some tin snips and some metal....you need take off the rest of the top and look for more damage. ..some vinyl top cars need a whole roof...but that spot can be fixed if thats all it needs...

If you have a MIG welder, a grinder and are willing to put the time in, that should be a home job.

I have done a lot of small repairs with just some steel, a range of hammers, nothing too special, and a small section of railway track as the anvil/former.

Mark out the extent of the patch (patches) and use tinsnips to cut to rough shape. Keep testing and light hammering into shape until they fit into the marked area. Trim out the damaged portion with some cutting wheels. Weld in. Grind and file. Move to next piece.

You do need time to get a good result. Have plenty of sheet steel on hand since you often need to scrap your mistakes and start afresh.

If you mess it up or give up, any bodyshop can do that small job.

You should get the glass out before this work. Grinding will spot the glass with hot metal splinter. They melt into the surface.

Good time to clean up the entire window flange. It is not fine work. Added bonus you have glass covering your work in the channel, and vinyl to cover the roofline.

Don't get too hung up about the level of skill to do this sort of work. Small jobs are easy, where you have large bodylines to guide you.

Have a go

I'm in the process of slowly fixing the car. That vinyl roof has to go. Never was a fan of it. Got new quarter paneled coming also. Gonna shave the side scoops or whatever they called. I'm researching the steering now. It needs to be redone. I'm leaning towards a rack and pinion set up. Not sure if I want to keep the power steering or go manual. It's gonna be a slow rebuild but in the end it'll be built by me and my way!!!!!

I just don't like the scoops on a coupe. They look backwards to me. On the fastbacks, those are nice. It's just not my thing.

I also never liked the backwards facing scoops on the 69 Coupe.