Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

header clarification

Im racking my brain over this and want some help. im looking at shorties but im reading that with a 351w, long tubes dont hang down as far and will clear a c4 no problem.. but then some say they didnt work at all. thats where im hung up. so will it work or no?

specs: 351W, C4, Power Steering, no AC yet

I dont have a problem with long tubes if they will work and wont bottom out. and this will be on the new motor im dropping in.

I had some hooker comp long tubes on my 69' with a 351w and a c4. Clearance was good, they didn't hang down too low, but some massaging was necessary to get them to fit the way I wanted them to. The same headers on a 302 hang down pretty low and scrape on everything.

351 has a taller deck height so the headers will be a little bit closer to the body than a 302 .Any long tube header will probably drag on something ,just have to be careful what you drive over ...Stupid speed bumps. I have always used Headman long tube headers without any problems ,but i had 4 speeds so i am not sure how they clear an automatic.

Im racking my brain over this and want some help. im looking at shorties but im reading that with a 351w, long tubes dont hang down as far and will clear a c4 no problem.. but then some say they didnt work at all. thats where im hung up. so will it work or no?

specs: 351W, C4, Power Steering, no AC yet

I dont have a problem with long tubes if they will work and wont bottom out. and this will be on the new motor im dropping in.

how much hp do you have?

do you want long tubes in particular?

hedman elite shorty 1 5/8" at summit.

Do you weld?

We used the tri-y headers on a friends cougar with a 351w

With the taller deck height the collectors exited too close to/ touching the floor under your heels. We cut a slice into the colletor tube near where the two tubes come into it. Angled the collector down a bit and welded it and we were done

Bob

barnett: the new motor should be around 450hp. im impartial to long or short, but thinking down the road, i want something that i wont have to modify if i end up going with rack and pinion. ive been looking at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88658/overview/, but that 3rd tube that comes up and over looks like it could be a problem. reviews have been hit and miss with those. either works great or not. and before the FPA guys jump in, i did contact them, and they are way out of the price range.

JBA makes a better shorty header for 351W motors in Mustangs. JBA shorty headers fit auto and manual trans Mustangs. They're more pricey but much better than the Hedman Elite Shorty. Plus JBA's don't have that oddball tube on #7 cylinder coming up and over for some reason.

barnett: the new motor should be around 450hp. im impartial to long or short, but thinking down the road, i want something that i wont have to modify if i end up going with rack and pinion. ive been looking at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88658/overview/, but that 3rd tube that comes up and over looks like it could be a problem. reviews have been hit and miss with those. either works great or not. and before the FPA guys jump in, i did contact them, and they are way out of the price range.

wow, ok, you must use full length to get the most out of your engine . . they must be at least 1 3/4" tubes and a maximum of 1 7/8 tubes . . the opening must be as large as the export opening in the head is.

run around 20" of 3" off of the collector with a long taper down to 2 5/8 . . 2 1/2" is the minimum size pipe . . 3" can be used but you will loose a little hp with it . . bigger is not always bigger.

run a X pipe if possible but either way you should have some sort of crossover tube.

look at dynomax mufflers. the stainless ones have enough flow and won't drone or be quite as loud as some of their others.

video sound demo

Edited by barnett468

wow, ok, you must use full length to get the most out of your engine . . they must be at least 1 3/4" tubes and a maximum of 1 7/8 tubes . . the opening must be as large as the export opening in the head is.

run around 20" of 3" off of the collector with a long taper down to 2 5/8 . . 2 1/2" is the minimum size pipe . . 3" can be used but you will loose a little hp with it . . bigger is not always bigger.

run a X pipe if possible but either way you should have some sort of crossover tube.

look at dynomax mufflers. the stainless ones have enough flow and won't drone or be quite as loud as some of their others.

video sound demo

I'm running edelbrock RPM heads. Not sure how big the exhaust ports are though.