Sign in to follow this  
Fantastic

factory a/c w/ ps pulley photos wanted

I am looking for photos and details/advice to help install factory air conditioning and power steering for a 351w in a 1969 Mach I. My pulleys did not line up and I may not have the correct brackets. The engine has an Edelbrock power package, but the intention is to look original.

Here you go. Best I could get, but might be what you need.

pulley69AC4.jpg

pulley69AC3.jpg

pulley69AC2.jpg

pulley69AC1.jpg

This is all factory correct, according to PO. 69 Mach 1 351W.

Crank pulley has three grooves. Innner most is for alternator

Center is for fan/waterpump

Front-most is AC

Ac belt runs over two idler pulleys, and the drive pulley

Tension adjustment is done at the 'passenger side' idler, with a simple friction bolt arrangement. Don't know if you can see, but there is a square hoe in the plate for use of a square 3/8" drive to set the tension.

'Driver's side' idler is a dumb idler on its own bracket.

Sorry, don't have pics disassembled.

Also,

Power steering pulley is driven by the 'center belt' on the 3 groove crank pulley. It drives the fan/waterpump, AND over to run the power steering pump.

If you need brackets, pulleys or whatever for your 69, give Chockostang a call. Very nice man, and he knows exactly what engine needs what. He has helped me in a number of builds, and has helped many others. He has spares for most things, brakes, power steering, pumps, all that.

Worth a call if you are hunting 69 brackets. They can be a bit tricky to find. More to the point, it can be tricky to know what you NEED. There were a lot of changes to the engine and bracketry and water pumps, timing covers, and radiators in 1970,

You may even have a 'mix and match'. I did once, on a 70 coupe. It happens.

I would have helped with some photos, but my car is in storage for the winter. I fitted an additional pulley on the AC belt, because it can vibrate and make a lot of noise when the AC is on. The additional pulley is on the long section, from the compressor to the crank. From what I understand, some cars have it and some do not.

I would have helped with some photos, but my car is in storage for the winter. I fitted an additional pulley on the AC belt, because it can vibrate and make a lot of noise when the AC is on. The additional pulley is on the long section, from the compressor to the crank. From what I understand, some cars have it and some do not.

The photo above shows the idler pulley under the AC compressor. When the AC is on, the belt can vibrate and make noise. Like I mentioned, I think the early cars did not have this originally. I think my car came from the factory without it, I had to add it later.

OK, need a little help with my current set up.  My power steering pump took a dump so I purchased a KRC set up from TCP.  I have factory AC and when I mount the new KRC power steering pump the pulley for the new KRC pump overlaps with and hits the back of the idler pulley on the AC belt.  Its the idler pulley mentioned in the post quoted here.  Its the driver's side AC idler pulley that is below the AC compressor and above the crank pulley on the long vertical belt run from the AC to the crank.  From the above post from danno it sounds like that AC idler pulley was added by Ford at some point to eliminate the vibration induced belt noise when the AC is on.  One solution for me would be to remove that AC idler pulley and hope I don't get the noise but I wanted to get your opinions and suggestions on other fixes and I would love to here what others have done who have added the KRC pump to a factory AC car.  All suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!