Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Power Steering hose issue/routing

So my steering Ram Ruptured so I decided to replace it along with the old hoses that I have, but as i was looking for the hose I realized that I have a late 80-90s 5.0 Mustang pump/serp setup and the original hoses probably won't work.

is there a power steering pressure hose I can use that's compatible with my 5.0 pump setup to control valve? I was thinking of going with a "custom Steel Braided line" but I can't find the correct fittings that will fit the control valve. Also, what would be the correct hose size? 6an, 10an?

now the routing. Before I had a 302 and the power steering would be routed to the motor mount, but since i did my 351w conversion it cannot be routed due to the wideness of the motor so I had to re-route the hose so it wouldn't bind or melt against the engine block. I noticed that some 69's with a 351w had their power steering routed under the lower a-arm, I found the bracket on CJPP but I kinda want to make this car look somewhat period correct.. is this the correct way that 69's had their PS routed?

any help would be great!

HAHA... You going to have fun with this one :P

I am not sure but I think your power steering pump is the same as mine which is from a 1993 Ford F150 with a 351W.

There is a special fitting end for that pump and the only place I could find that has ANYTHING aftermarket is a place Called Pure Performance Motorsports.

They have a fitting that's about 10 bucks with a dead soft aluminum washer that will screw in and not leak, and the other end of it is a 6AN male thread.

THEN you can go to a Hyd. Hose shop and have them make you up a hose with a female Short Drop 90degree Female AN fitting...They will probably not have a clue what an AN fitting is, they call it a 37 Degree JIC Fitting or Just a JIC fitting...

DO NOT MENTION THAT ITS GOING ON A CAR because 99% of them will tell you they don't make anything for cars and will refuse to make it.

For that matter don't even use the term AN Fitting.

On the other end of the first thing you will need is an adapter to screw into the PS control valve they should have this. It is a simple JIC to JIC Nipple and the hose end will need a 45 degree Female JIC fitting in 6AN "3/8" as well.

Its a tight fit but once you screw the nipple into the control head and attach the hose with the 45 degree female it will clear the frame :)

Basically what it all boils down to is you need to have Female ends on both ends of your hose in order to use most local Hyd. shop sourced fittings and get it the same day lol.

I found a Hyd shop with a Car guy who was sympathetic to my needs and built a few hoses for me for free just to get it right. That hyd. hose they use is thick as hell and tough to work with but it should last a LONG time.

They can put metal pipe in the hoses like the factory stuff but most shops dont have the ability to bend the tubing like you need to clear the steering system like the factory did while maintaining the ID

My guy said he would be happy to try but I didn't want to bother him with it so i went straight rubber line.

Just remember don't mention AN fittings use the term JIC fittings and 3/8" hose LOL.

And remove the word CAR from your vocabulary as well when you walk through the door at the Hyd hose shop haha.

I want to find a better set up to use because there are a lot of guys out there in the truck world who have problems with these hoses blowing out when they use them in conjunction with big huge tires....the internal part of the factory hose has an O-Ring and some kind of internal flare on it that when enough pressure is applied Via resistance from turning the big tires has a tendency to flow the hose apart at the fitting LOL...I didnt want this problem.

Just remember don't mention AN fittings use the term JIC fittings and 3/8" hose LOL.

And remove the word CAR from your vocabulary as well when you walk through the door at the Hyd hose shop haha.

I want to find a better set up to use because there are a lot of guys out there in the truck world who have problems with these hoses blowing out when they use them in conjunction with big huge tires....the internal part of the factory hose has an O-Ring and some kind of internal flare on it that when enough pressure is applied Via resistance from turning the big tires has a tendency to flow the hose apart at the fitting LOL...I didnt want this problem.

One of the best mods I have done. One of my cars had a banjo bolt leak for a long time. New copper washers ect(non mustang car, but did this car and did the same to the mustang). Went to a -6 hydro line and no leaks now. Mikestang nailed the the post. I made a mock up line with my braided hose and dash 6 ends. Took it in there and got them to copy the size and fittings. Told them the pressure I wanted and was good to go.

good info from mikestang but if you already have a hose on it there might be a number on it and you can buy the same one.

yes there is a part number but I tried going to every automotive store and no one has it or it doesn't come up on their catalog, there no brand name either.. lol

If there is already a hose installed that fit correctly and you cannot match it at a parts store, take it to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and they can probably make a new one by copying it. Sometimes they can reuse the old ends if they have nothing new that matches.

If there is already a hose installed that fit correctly and you cannot match it at a parts store, take it to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and they can probably make a new one by copying it. Sometimes they can reuse the old ends if they have nothing new that matches.

honestly, I dont think theres a shop around my area that does this type of stuff. So I think SOL on that, most small shops are gone.

Im probably going to have to look for my old Receipt and see if there's a brand name or p/n. gotta keep lookin...makes me wish I had a R&P setup.. lol

Hey take me a pic RWC I can probably get it made locally here or possibly find it somewhere.

I really want to get a hose with a smaller coupling on the fitting and may very well let this guy have a go at making something with a metal line in it

like the hose from a 1990 mustang...it has the pump end but the 90degree bend up top is a long radius bend but the control head has a fitting that you can get an adapter to if the bends are right to clear everything else.

I know people have bound to already jumped through these hoops but no one has published them anywhere so its basically lost knowledge.

Just like using the complete serpintine kit off of a 1993 F150 on either a 302 or a 351...it will work but the AC compressor has to either be a factory ford unit or the compressor head has to be swapped out to a rear discharge so the hoses will clear the hood, if not you hit the hood cross bracing and have to do like I just did which was cut some of the support loose....OR you can use the factory AC compressor but have to have new lines made up which you can do if your ordering from Classic Auto Air they will gladly make you what you need

honestly, I dont think theres a shop around my area that does this type of stuff. So I think SOL on that, most small shops are gone.

Im probably going to have to look for my old Receipt and see if there's a brand name or p/n. gotta keep lookin...makes me wish I had a R&P setup.. lol

Industrial supply stores that sell bearings, gears, electric motors, etc. often make hydraulic hoses.

Good Luck

Our mechanic at work had a hyd hose making machine on his truck, if you could get the fittings and hose he could hook ya up... A lot of the heavy equipment road repair trucks you see have the capability u just gotta have the stuff

Try Hose Fittings Etc in Fremont. They are a Parker fitting store and pretty sure they make hoses too. Call before you make the drive (510) 661-0151

Try Hose Fittings Etc in Fremont. They are a Parker fitting store and pretty sure they make hoses too. Call before you make the drive (510) 661-0151

so, update. Thanks to buening, I gave them a call and they were happy to help, so I brought my old hoses and they remade them with the correct lines and contours. luckily, everything fits and i will test drive it this weekend. :) yay!