Sign in to follow this  
juit

holley runing rich all the time

your other carb was slightly lean at cruise speed on the afr, what is this one?

with no hesitation, changing 4 sizes is way too much.

you could clean up a spark plug then drive at around 2200 rpm for 10 - 15 minutes then posts a before and after photo of it.

Edited by barnett468

Well i went from 54 to 64 for this test so prolly 58 would be a good size?

At idle is rich - ideal but on the rich led for seconds it goes on the ideal zone

On the 4160 was stuck on the rich side

Well i went from 54 to 64 for this test so prolly 58 would be a good size?

At idle is rich - ideal but on the rich led for seconds it goes on the ideal zone

On the 4160 was stuck on the rich side

you could clean up a spark plug then drive at around 2200 rpm for 10 - 15 minutes then post a before and after photo of it.

Your 4160 would have been lean at idle too if you turned your fuel mix screws in.

This one "should" go rich if you turn them out.

Edited by barnett468

Your 4160 would have been lean at idle too if you turned your fuel mix screws in.

This one "should" go rich if you turn them out.

I never could make it go lean with the mixture screws, it will shut off or stumble a lot

this one with hi vacuum runs way better

also with the bigger jet it feals like a efi car

with the smallest will hessitate a lil but feal very crisp

the 4160 felt great but this one feals better I dont know how to explain it

your other carb was slightly lean at cruise speed on the afr, what is this one?

you could clean up a spark plug then drive at around 2200 rpm for 10 - 15 minutes then posts a before and after photo of it.

??? Yo told me tha was too much 4 jets, im at 64 its too rich

I wanted to lower it to 60 from 54

Maybe i got it wrong :S

??? Yo told me tha was too much 4 jets, im at 64 its too rich

I wanted to lower it to 60 from 54

Maybe i got it wrong :S

what i told you was that your car finally ran flawlessly and noticeably faster than it had after around 180 posts and that you would have to go thru the nightmare of jetting from scratch if you put the avenger on and this is exactly where you are now.

i told you that based on YOUR description/information, that changing more than 4 jet sizes would be too much . . the jets go up by 1 number at a time, not 2 . . 64 minus 4 = 60.

i also said you should run the jets from your old carb . . this is because they will be about perfect for this carb too . . well you stuck the front ones in and they are just about perfect which is no surprise to me but now you want to go down 6 sizes...ok.

my suggestions are based on your info . . it your info is inaccurate or if i not understand exactly what you are saying, then my suggestions will be inaccurate . . this i guarantee, lol.

Edited by barnett468

Gotcha, anyway i bought a downsize kit,

64 is way bigger than the 4160 its rich all the time exept idle

Thats why i wanted to land on a 60

The 54 on the avenger is too lean at cruising speed exept at idle

Edited by juit

Gotcha, anyway i bought a downsize kit,

64 is way bigger than the 4160 its rich all the time exept idle

Thats why i wanted to land on a 60

The 54 on the avenger is too lean at cruising speed exept at idle

i said to put the jets from your 4160 into the avenger, i thought they were 64 because you said 64 in your last post . . this is the problem . . if i don't know what you are saying. i will give you wrong suggestions . . i'm sitting behind a computer, i can't see or hear your car run and i can't drive it.

what are the jets in your 4160?

what is a downsize kit?

Edited by barnett468

ok well your other carb should use jets that are the same or at least within 2 of that size.

I've never worked on an Avenger, but don't forget, is possible the Avenger carb has smaller air bleeds and possibly smaller or fewer emulsion bleeds than the older 4160. Those will cause it to run richer than the older 4160 when using the same main jet size that was in the older 4160.

I've never worked on an Avenger, but don't forget, is possible the Avenger carb has smaller air bleeds and possibly smaller or fewer emulsion bleeds than the older 4160. Those will cause it to run richer than the older 4160 when using the same main jet size that was in the older 4160.

yes, thanks for the info and i am aware of that but they are not going to be 10 jet sizes different . . his other carb that ran perfectly had 65's . . he started with 54's in the avenger and it had a hesitation, lol.

I hate to say, but people that work with Holley carbs and from what I've read state if you need to rejet by more than a three sizes it's probably the wrong carb for the application. I wonder if somebody else already rejetted this Avenger leaner than from Holley to try to tune it for another motor? Juit may want to check the stock jetting in the back of his Holley book.

I hate to say, but people that work with Holley carbs and from what I've read state if you need to rejet by more than a three sizes it's probably the wrong carb for the application. I wonder if somebody else already rejetted this Avenger leaner than from Holley to try to tune it for another motor? Juit may want to check the stock jetting in the back of his Holley book.

yes good point, his avenger does not come with 54 jets if i remember correctly.