Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

How to Stop Oil Mist From Valve Covers

oh and my dipstick is in the front of the oil pan.

I have the Milidon 7Qt front sump pan.

Think I am also leaking around the tube at the bottom as well but not that bad.

Wonder if I put a Go Pro under the hood and mount it what I will see

LOL... It didnt push the TUBE out it pushed the dipstick out of the tube LOL .... MY bad....

thats ok, i have actually seen the tubes not only lift up when they weren't bolted in by actually come out and go under the car or fall into the fan belt etc, lol . . nothing surprises me anymore.

No just one LOL.

I solver several problems at once Friday night LOL.

Seems the rear sensor cover for the speedo Drive came off the transmission some how and was spewing fluid...I replaced that with an actual speedo drive sensor which doesn't get used in my application, also removed the crappy ass cork gasket on the transmission pan and installed a FORD reusable rubber gasket. This all solved my transmission Woes.

Then I replaced my blown valve cover gasket and installed a breather in place of my PCV valve and VOILA NO OIL leaks and I drove it All day Saturday with no problems and no oil mist anywhere..... Interesting huh?

No just one LOL.

Seems the rear sensor cover for the speedo Drive came off the transmission some how and was spewing fluid...I replaced that with an actual speedo drive sensor which doesn't get used in my application, also removed the crappy ass cork gasket on the transmission pan and installed a FORD reusable rubber gasket. This all solved my transmission Woes.

Then I replaced my blown valve cover gasket and installed a breather in place of my PCV valve and VOILA NO OIL leaks and I drove it All day Saturday with no problems and no oil mist anywhere..... Interesting huh?

That's just weird. Replacing a gasket and disconnecting a vacuum source to make the problem go away makes no sense. It makes it sound like you previously had it hooked up to the opposite of vacuum....LOL!

Wanna hear something even more funny... My front crank seal isnt leaking anymore either LMAO...I keep a piece of white plastic board under the car...it had 2 drops of transmission fluid on it this morning and I traced that to the frame rail area where the fluid had blown over to HAHA.

I guess you would consider a 550hp motor a race motor wouldnt ya ?? or a Hot street motor at least LOL.

What ever I did seemed to work and I did several full throttle blasts once I got up to speed since I cant do slow speed blasts for lack of traction hehe.

Need to finish my home made caltracs and install a Pinion snubber

No just one LOL.

its funny how the littlest things can cause a huge issue. Glad you got it fixed!

69 Mach I saved for that build and found NEw parts locally that people had bought and never used and they unloaded them cheap so I did well on the price of the motor...I believe i did it all for under 6k.

Eagle Rods and crank, Ross Light weight pistons and pins, AFR heads, Comp custom Hyd roller cam, Stock style roller lifters, Main Girdle, Comp Gold Rockers and all ARP bolts with Vic Jr. Intake and Holley Vac carb.

I did it about as Cheap as possible.

Here is my 2 cents worth. The dipstick being forced partially from the tube is caused by crankcase pressure. Excessive crankcase pressure. Either there is way to much blow by or the venting is wrong and trapping pressure in the crankcase. That pressure will find a place to get out. It might push out a oil pan gasket or maybe around the front seal and take a little oil with it? Dave.

Those are my thoughts as well Dave R. I have no personal experience with motors making 550 hp so I cannot gauge if what he is experiencing is normal. I would guess eventually the filters on the breathers will become oil saturated then the oil mist will occur on the valve covers around the breather area's. Even with two breathers I would look into adding a PCV. Maybe somebody else here knows more, but I thought kind of a side effect benefit of the PCV system was reduced oil varnish and sludge build up inside the motor.

I'm going to have to get a leak down tester somewhere, no one locally seems to have one unfortunately.

If its got excessive blow-by I wish all my motors had this kinda blowby if they would all run like this thing does and the plugs looked as nice.

The breathers I used were already full of oil and I just sprayed the emements down with Carb cleaner and blew them out with air to make em nice again and so far I have not seen either one turning golden colored from oil like they were doing when I was running the PCV valve.

When I pull the breathers and put my hand over the holes I dont feel a vaccum OR a pressure, its negative...Maybe I will rig something up to test with a Vac gauge to see what it has going on lol..

If I do start to get oil spray I am going to build a system to link the 2 filler holes in the Valve covers together and run them up to the Montcarlo brace which will hopefully allow the oil to settle out of the air and return to the Valve covers.

How do you install a PCV valve backwards?

It was plugged into the Pass side valve cover and run to the bottom of the Carb on the PCV Nipple lol...at least that is the nipple that Holley suggested using for their carb

If its is an inline PCV valve with a nipple on each end it will have an arrow of which way it will flow and it will only flow 1 way(arrow to the carb/air filter etc)

and yes I know I said its a ONE way PCV valve, they all are haha...play on words .

PCV valve was in correct, I have installed literally thousands of them

I figured it wasn't the case but I have seen some really simple things cause big or odd issues. Things start to get funny when you toss in the older car and aftermarket parts factor as well

Well yesterday I decided to change the advance springs and stop bushing in the MSD distributor so I could bring the total timing down a bit.

Took the old bushing out only to find that it was the same size as the Silver bushing in the recurve kit so I had to go with the Black bushing which provides 18 degrees of advance plus I raised my initial advance to 16 degrees for a total of 34 degrees, but im only showing 32 with my timing light...no big deal.

I also went with one heavy silver and one light silver spring.

doing this brought the idle up so I readjusted the carb and dropped the idle down even more and readjusted the TPS for the 4R70W.

Car starts with a 1/2 second bump of the key just like before and has no dieseling like before, but its a bit more peppy but now its go a slight bog to it lol.. so I need to adjust the acc. pump shot some I'm sure haha.

As large as the cam is it sounds so mellow and doesnt even hardly have a lope to it.

One would never guess from the sound that its making the power it does HAHA.