Sign in to follow this  
esilassy

dumb front drum question

Was thinking of replacing everything on the brakes (drums all around) to make sure they are in good working order. I don;t have the funds to go discs. I don't mind the drums, they pull to the right every now and then. Was going to get a rebuild kit and replace the drums also. Now, the front drums and hubs are pressed in together right? So, do I need to buy new drums and hubs and studs etc? How to I check the old drums to see if they are ok and just order the interior rebuild kit? Help?

If you can drive it I'd take it to a brake service center.

There are videos available on working on drums too.

Disc brakes seem to be much easier to work on.

Another thing to check "while you're at it" are the bearings

Thanks for the info TexasEd. I forgot to mention I wanted to do the bearings too. I thnk the brakes are "ok", but they groan sometimes and pull to the right sometimes. I had the car inspected when I first bought it, and it passed.....

Was thinking of replacing everything on the brakes (drums all around) to make sure they are in good working order. I don;t have the funds to go discs. I don't mind the drums, they pull to the right every now and then. Was going to get a rebuild kit and replace the drums also. Now, the front drums and hubs are pressed in together right? So, do I need to buy new drums and hubs and studs etc? How to I check the old drums to see if they are ok and just order the interior rebuild kit? Help?

I replace mine with disc this past winter. The drums press off the hubs. No reason why you can't press a new one on.

Esilassy, there is a company called chocostang in Illinois that sells disc brake convertions for about half of what everybody else charged and they're almost identical parts, I bought the front convertion for my 69 fastback and they are awesome and easy to do. I had mine changed in just a couple of hours, hope this helps

Esilassy, there is a company called chocostang in Illinois that sells disc brake convertions for about half of what everybody else charged

You won't find a nicer, more honest guy than Dan @ Chocostang.

If you have to replace your drum brakes I'd switch to discs, the price is neglidble.

Bob

Esilassy, there is a company called chocostang in Illinois that sells disc brake convertions for about half of what everybody else charged

You won't find a nicer, more honest guy than Dan @ Chocostang.

If you have to replace your drum brakes I'd switch to discs, the price is neglidble.

Bob