Sign in to follow this  
dkm004

351W cutting out randomly

Hey guys.

My 351W had picked up a bug the past few days. I will be driving along in traffic or idling and BAM, just like that it just shuts off. As soon as I hit the ignition it fires right back up again no problem and runs fine. Its only happened 3 times but I cant seem to source the cause. Any clues?

Cheers!

My friend had a '75 or '76 Cougar that did the same thing. Are you running an electronic ignition? His brainbox for the stock ignition was the culprit. Certainly sounds electrical.

Edited by Dave R.
added the last line.

Also, check your grounds inside of your distributor under the cap to make sure nothing has come loose. B.

Had similar issue a few weeks ago. Running 50 the car shut off, then start right back up. Did it 4 time in a few miles. My coil wire was about to come off. Put it on right and no issues.

You have an intermittent wire connection somewhere. Myself and others have seen this in the coil. They can work fine, then just stop. It cools down and works fine again. Coils are cheap, I would replace it. If that does not solve the problem, you have a spare coil for when it does.

You have an intermittent wire connection somewhere. Myself and others have seen this in the coil. They can work fine, then just stop. It cools down and works fine again. Coils are cheap, I would replace it. If that does not solve the problem, you have a spare coil for when it does.

Mine does it cold or warm, idle or running. Then will fire up again fine a second later. Im stumped! Has to be electrical, not fuel.

I had a ready to run billet distributor in my convertible..key word HAD..it was cutting out..

removed the distributor and the lower bushing was gone... so much play the reluctor was hitting the pick-up...I dont know if MSD is having a problem with there distributors or not... replaced it with a old accel distributor that was only 25 years old..running good now..