Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Suspension/Alignment (trouble shooting a noise pt2)

In my earlier post, i complained about a noise when I turned right. Thought it was the power steering pump, took it off, still made the noise. After lots of help, I looked closely and the tire is rubbing the rear of the front valance on the drivers side.

When I looked at the PSGR side, I noticed that my wheel sits much more evenly in the wheel opening.

PSGR WHEEL

IMG_8831_zpse3a2f4f8.jpg

Driver Wheel

IMG_8834_zpsf1f61644.jpg

I also noticed, that my driver side strut rod is torqued (more thread showing) than the psgr side.

PSGR Strut Rod

IMG_8830_zpsd14df92f.jpg

Driver Strut Rod

IMG_8829_zps770f3c39.jpg

I had it aligned before I got it painted (someone my painter knew). I havent driven it enough to know if it pulls or feels like it needs to be aligned. Should I adjust the wheel back in the wheel well to get rid of the rubbing and get it to an alignment shop?

Why would there be such a difference?

Well it looks like your onto something there. FWIW; pictures of mine w/castle nut and cotter pins. 1/2" difference in the strut rod adjustments, 1 & 3/8" on one and 7/8" on the other and that does show up at the wheel to valance distance, 1/4" difference, on my car. If it were me: calll the alignment guy, explain the problem, see what he says. Brian

The strut rods are used for castor adjustment and should be adjusted the same amount unless there are frame rail issues.You need more castor for modern radial tires and you may have to adjust the pax side to match the driver side and give the font valance a tweak to clear the tires. Does the steering self centre or do you need to pull it back to centre? Did the alignment shop do a full alignment or just do a toe adjustment?

Dimension to fender is not reliable. Fenders can me moved forward and back and could vary location pending the door alignment as well as gaps and fender alignment.

Alignment rack says it all.

Bob

Not sure on the detail of alignment. It was probably a year ago so I doubt the guy is going to remember but I can check.

I really havent driven it but 30mph through the neighborhood. I can check to see if it self centers the next time out.

I measured the threads showing and i am at 1" on the psgr side and 1 11/16" on the driver side.

Should i limp it over to an alignment shop and have them look at it? Or adjust it back to remove the rubbing and then get it to the alignment shop?

Is there a way to adjust the front valance forward?

Can't really adjust the front valence but you need to look where the fender meets the windshield to see of they are adjusted about the same. Also you may want to check corner to corner alignment and see that the rear end is square to the car and to the front suspension. May need to adjust it a little and then alight to the rear end ( aligh in relation to) which is called a torque thrust alignment or 4 wheel alignment.

If it was me I think I would want to find an old school alignment guy that really knows his stuff verses the kid operating the fancy machine

Bob

If it was me I think I would want to find an old school alignment guy that really knows his stuff verses the kid operating the fancy machine

Bob

Agreed. I'll take a look at the points noted above. I just want to make sure if I adjust the castor out so that the wheel is not rubbing, it wont affect the alignment too bad to get the car to the shop.

my suggestion is to take it to a reliable body shop and have the car frame looked at to make sure it's straight, then get the alignment done. that's what i did with my 69 and it was off by an 1". They pulled it back and then the alignment. just my 2 cents.

I measured from the door to the front of the valance and that is even (off 1/4") door to center of wheel is off considerably about an 1" but wouldnt that be explained by the driver wheel being pulled so far forward?

I am going to adjust so it doesnt rub and then find a good alignment shop.