Sign in to follow this  
det0326

package tray

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions about the fastback package tray? It appears that the hockey sticks rest on top of the pressed board package tray can anyone verify this and how thick is the pressboard that sits on top of the steel metal tray?

Thanks for any info.

Dave

I can only speak in terms of my Torino as my Mustang was a vert and had no package tray. The package tray goes in first and then the trim. The "hockey sticks" rest on top of the tray as that is what holds it down and in place.

As for thickness I'm not certain because I never bothered to measure the thickness. My guess is it's anywhere from 1/8" - 1/4" in thickness. I'm leaning toward the lesser of the two.

yeah I'd dare say my package tray is 3/16" :)

I covered mine in black vinyl last year, and I don't think it was 1/4", that seems a bit on the thick side.

Thanks guys this is what I was needing because I changed both my inner wheel houses and was trying to relocate the bracket that mounts the steel panel behind the rear upper seat cushion and steel panel under the package tray. I didn't get these original parts with my car and had to order after market stuff and just wanted to make sure everything had enough space to fit. I have the tray ordered too but probably want be here until toward the end of week. Thanks again

Dave

The trim goes over the package tray

The tray is formed/bent Masonite with the rough side showing

Between 1/8 and 3/16 sounds right.

1/4 would be too thick

You could use some thin sheet metal ( prefer aluminum) and cover it in leather, vynal or carpet and make it really nice.

Remember thin rubber strips or caulking where it would be metal/metal contact to prevent noise

Bob

I ordered the aftermarket package tray to replace the original masonite as it was all cut up for speakers. Replacement is fiberglass, way too big (which is better than too small) and the texture reminds me of drywall texture.

In hind site, I think I would have covered with something like vinyl. I saw one where they took the rear mustang letters and spaced it out nice across the vertical piece at the rear window. Looked pretty cool.

Agree with the 3/16". While it may be thick, I bought a felt jute rug pad that is roughly 3/8" or 1/2" thick and used it between the package tray and the metal tray. I wasn't going for originality but rather to quiet down the noise coming from the trunk area. Package tray and hockey trim fit surprisingly. I was originally only going to use it behind the quarter pillar trim and the interior fiberglass quarter panels, but had some left over and used it on the package tray too.

My repro package tray from NPD was cardboard and had a relatively smooth texture to it unlike the original texture finish.

Here is a thread with some pics of the original insulation: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4806.0

I got a spray-can of upholstry/fabric glue, and a sheet of vinyl from the fabric store. Worked great! It might be starting to bubble up in one section, on the curve -- a few heat cycles in the sun has stretched things out a bit. I think I should have used more glue, but it should be an easy fix. (peel it back, and re-glue)