Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Do you guys use lead?

Just got done finishing up full quarters on my car.

Just curious what you guys have used to fill the welded seam up on the sail panel.

Ive used lead in the past but just curious what else you guys have used and had good results with.

I don't want to just fill it with regular filler.

I helped my brother replace both full quarters on his 69 mach. We used lead to fill in the seam at the quarter/roof. We also replaced some sections on both sides of the outer rocker and he choose to also use lead there as well.

I think you may find most people use the fiberglass reinforced filler versus lead for the quarter/roof seams. My brother on the other hand, was hell bent on using the lead for this because it was what the factory used.

eastwood has lead free body solder as another option......fumes wont be as toxic.

Good point and I'm glad you brought that up. If using lead, make sure you use a respirator. You do not want to be breathing the fumes.

I also used lead at the roof and 1/4 seam, with a lite thin coat of filler over the lead to further smooth out.

Dave

My brother is doing the exact same thing. As amatuers in doing the lead, both my brother and I were not experienced enough to go back and add lead with out messing up the lead work we had already dressed and cleaned up.

i used duraglas.

however, the best idea (in my opinion) that someone on here or elsewhere had mentioned, was actually welding in a piece of filler metal over that locations. definitely more work, but should result in very little filler of any kind.

i used duraglas.

however, the best idea (in my opinion) that someone on here or elsewhere had mentioned, was actually welding in a piece of filler metal over that locations. definitely more work, but should result in very little filler of any kind.

I'm just starting on doing both my quarter panels and that's what I'm planning on doing. I saw pictures on the VMF board where a member that has a body shop welded a patch over the seam. It looked very clean.

I too debated the different was of doing the roof and 1/4 seam. I saw the pic's of the ones that welded the metal patch in and it does look good. I considered the panel bond also. I guess the reason I finally decided on the lead was that my car still had the original seams at the roof line and still in excellent condition after 45 years. I did a continuous welded seam as well as spot welds before leading. Being a rookie at leading it turned out really nice though. The worse problem a rookie will encounter is when filling to shape, the lead being softer I had the problem of under cutting the lead. This is why I decided to do the finish shaping with plastic filler, but it was such a thin coat it should never be a problem of cracking.

Dave

Edited by det0326