Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Did your '69 428CJ come with front drum or disc brakes?

I was told early on that if your '69 Mach 1 came with a 428 cobra jet, that it should have come with power front disc as a standard option. My car was a drag car from '69 to '79 (3,100 miles on it when I got it) and I always assumed it was ordered without them to eliminate the need for vacuum assist.

The Marti Report for my SCJ car lists the ' Power Front Disc Brakes ' as an option. It was explained to me that the cars going to the track were ordered with drum brakes so the shoes could be backed off, less drag, at the track. You gotta love it. Those guys were fighting for 1/10's of a second.Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

I have seen many 428 cars in my life and I would say half were drum and half were disc. I have an H Code 69 Mach 1 with drum barkes from the factory. I agree by 1969 they should have come standard with front disc brakes as many if not all of the big 5 of the time discs were standard. If you were a racer and special ordered your 428 CJ car that is where one should have the option to order drums. I must say I do not know what Ford was not thinking with that one. Just my view I just don't get that one.

My r code has front disc's as an option for $64.77 . Build date December 68. My car is not a Mach1. Maybe the Mach1 package included front disc brakes.

Edited by JCB-69CJ

My r code has front disc's as an option for $64.77 . Build date December 68. My car is not a Mach1. Maybe the Mach1 package included front disc brakes.

Good point. To add to my car, it is a Mach 1. B.