Sign in to follow this  
Topless69GT

Heat shield

I am looking for a heat riser for my car. It is a 351W. Does anyone make a reproduction heat riser? I see the one for the 302 but not the 351? I think the part number is C9OZ 9A603 A. Also if anyone has a good used one I would prefer to go that route.

Edited by Topless69GT

I have one and the S-tube for 351c. I wanted to add carb heat to my car and had read that it would fit over headers but it doesn't. I plan to fabricate a modified version from stainless. Mine will be for sale once I get the part made. It doesn't help the OP though, sorry

I bought a repop for my 302 engine in a 70. It is designed for standard exhaust manifolds. I had installed the hi-po 289 manifolds, so it needed minor mods to fit.

They are only thin tinplate items, so most of the original items are rusted or thrown away. It does allow for easy mods and bends easily.

They can be difficult or impossible to fit without removing the manifolds. I had to remove the manifold to make the mods/adjustments.

I have a 351 W in my 69 which has the heat riser on it. I will get some pics and see how it differs from the 302.

I would think it would not be hard to make up a suitable heat riser for headers. I think a flat bar with spring clips to suit the header tubes would be easy to mock up, then some tin or sheet steel, or sheet aluminum riveted onto the header bar. Some heat proof flex tube and a flange, and it would be done.

These risers only have a use for cold weather climates, and then, only for cold starts. Or extremely cold weather to prevent icing in the carburetor.

I keep mine purely for original appearances, and perhaps nostalgia. I like the old snorkel air cleaners and all that stuff in the engine bay.

I would think there are a few people who have them after removing them from their cars. I hope you find one.

CJ's sell one for the 302. Perhaps Glazier Nolan, or MU or someone may have them.

Where are you seeing the repro for the 302?

I restored the air cleaner and snorkel for my car but I threw away the snorkel in 1986 since it was already rusted through and rattling against the manifold.

If the repos are inexpensive I'd get one for aesthetics.

20140225_165357_zpsucpnj7or.jpg

I found this one, I don't know anything about it. When I was looking for one a few years ago I never saw any repops but I found a Ford Service Replacement part at a swap meet.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mustang/ford-mustang-exhaust-manifold-heat-riser-tube-289-or-302-v-8.html

Edited by 69RavenConv

I got a repop for my 302 at CJPP.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/air-cleaner-heat-shroud-tube-289-302-1968-1972/p/HST2/

No 351 units there. West Coast Cougar has them now and again, and I have seen some on ebay. The problem is the originals are usually in terrible condition, since they are thin material, and heated and cooled over and over. Rust gets em...