Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

EFI windsor in a 69?

I know a guy selling a foxbody with a late 90's efi windsor with a procharger backed by a tremec 3550. I was thinking of getting it to swap the drivetrain in my 69 mach1 with a 351w fmx. How hard and what kind of hurdles would I face doing this? I imagine Id need at least a cowl hood for clearance.

Engine and trans are mostly a bolt in. You may have a few clearance issues with the transmission but if you don't mind doing a little denting or trimming thn no problem.

The issues you will have are with the exhaust clearance and the supercharger location.. You may need new headers unless you want to remove or trim the towers.

Next issew is hood clearance. This may or may not be an issue depending on what the intake setup is.

Depending on the price that could be a great deal. I think you should be looking at it.

And what is the deal. Is the car a wreck and you are going to part it or is the car good and you are just taking the engine.....

Bob

I was actually looking for a 86 foxbody as another driver. Came across one with this setup for only $5k fully built. I cant stand not having a manual and thought about switching the 69 to manual but I got a crazy good deal on a full 4r70w package.

I know a guy selling a foxbody with a late 90's efi windsor with a procharger backed by a tremec 3550. I was thinking of getting it to swap the drivetrain in my 69 mach1 with a 351w fmx. How hard and what kind of hurdles would I face doing this? I imagine Id need at least a cowl hood for clearance.

The Tremec 3550 externally is virtually identical to the Tremec TKO. You'll need a transmission crossmember for a Tremec and probably notch the transmission tunnel support brace to clear the top of the transmission. You'll also need lowered engine mounts. But it's really no big deal to use a Tremec in a 67-70 Mustang. I run a TKO in my car and those were the mods I had to do.

What intake manifold is on it? I bought a GT40 style lower intake, with an explorer upper in hopes of adding EFI to my 351W. I found that the intake will not fit under the stock hood. The intake would also interfere with the stock braces.