Sign in to follow this  
ford4v429

hello from ohio... after 29 yrs, getting going on my 69

Hi all, first post here...just stumbled on the site.

mustang fan (69/06/07/09) and Ive had my 69 since 82... in 84, pulled the 302 to commit to the bigblock swap, life happened repeatedly, finally just got started last july- for a month, then kids cars came up again. got their stuff all done, time to get back after the 69.

one way or another, going to chop the rusty front end- hate mcpherson struts, but coilover struts will reduce shock tower load by near half, and losing the upper arms/notching the towers gives much desirable room...

RRS setup is slick, but kinda pricey...those center sliding racks dont look right to me, but love the look of their notched towers/coilover idea.

I'm thinking of trying to go similar, but different- theres a ton of coilover cars out there with discs, r/p front mount steering- thinking of adapting something as so much needs replaced anyways, plus I'm kinda weird in liking to mix/match, just to be different.

just curious if anyone in here had any coilover strut ideas/suggestions. purists wont like cutting one up, dont mean to upset anyone...just starting to kick things around. want a car that uses common parts, reduce the tower loading so it handles a iron bigblock without flexing- and room to work.

hoping to have it rolling/maybe ready for paint by fall, then on to crazy plans with the 429...wanting to machine a new front cover, make hyd cam advance gear/crank trigger/dual water pumps(to shorten package and make room for cam advance hydraulics), front oil pump(losing dist completely), header-like dual plane intake to throttle body , and adapt full S197 engine controls- drive by wire throttle and all...hoping to get away with the old 11:1 compression via knock sensors/timing/servo throttle like on the new ones... just like to tinker/make parts/wire and program stuff...have a 17x48 engine lathe and a CNC bridgeport (both freebies saved from scrapheap and rebuilt), so can modify or fab most moderate sized stuff at home...but heck, it might be another 29 yrs if i keep dreaming up more crap to add to the project :)

heres a link to some pics of my poor old fastback- it looked pretty good till you got up close- lots of rot, but its a mustang from ohio...

set-72157634916492409

Nice project! I want that rotissorie! I have access to all the heavy steel I need to build something like that.

I know the feeling about life happening. Mine has been apart since October 86. Have worked on it off and on over the years. About 5 years ago I started back on it pretty heavily but the past 2 years I've been real busy with work and some other things but have been working on it when I can fit it in.

Nice project. I am just back working on my 69 conv after pulling the engine about 12 years ago. Again with family life kept getting in the way.

For front suspension you have several options.

You can go radical and swap in a mustangII front suspension.

One of the things I did in the past was to lower the front arms by the common 1.5 to 2 inches similar to what was done on the Shelby's.

Then you can remove most of the tower up to where the old holes were and trim around the outer part all the way to the frame. What you will have left is the part the engine frame mount bolts to ( cut off at about the old upper arm level) and the center thicker are of the shock tower where the upper arm bolts to ( again cut off at the height of the old upper arm bolts).

You should at this point add a 1/4" piece of plate to the inside of the remaining shock tower and brace it vie a triangular plate similar to what was done on the trans am bracing in the original tower.

Then you will run a tube cage loop forward along the inner apron and across the radiator support like is common on most race cars, add a tube brace that runs from the top of the engine attaches to ( where you cut it off) and go up to the tube you just added along the inner aprons.

Connect your coil over between this point and the upper arm

Bob

Welcome ford. Good golly that is one stout rotisserie, me likey! Nice ride, you do know you can stroke that bad boy to 557 ci don't ya? I'll go ahead and axe my standard question, where y'all from?

Bob

Welcome ford. Good golly that is one stout rotisserie, me likey! Nice ride, you do know you can stroke that bad boy to 557 ci don't ya? I'll go ahead and axe my standard question, where y'all from?

Bob

thanks- the rotisserie was a freebie 3ton wallace gantry- dug out of the scrapheap bent it back into shape... I love recycling stuff- cut/flipped stuff around so it will roll thru the door, when the cars done the mods are pretty reversible to make it a gantry again- just erecting it inside would be a challenge... I put it together on its side solo, used the shape as a 'gin pole' to roll it upright with a tractor and gator, the top beam is bigtime heavy... dunno about putting it up without a forklift with the beam assembled properly, last of my worries for now...I was just glad the car didnt bust- hung it pretty complete, just motor/tranny/doors off, my lifttables/cradles used on our 65 gal were straining a bit, but the car didnt creak at all...front torque box gone, upper aprons bad, but held fine...its a lot lighter now, not too worried- with the top beam(even sideways) I can strap/support the thing before cutting just in case... luckily the floorpans are near perfect, toeboard above bad torquebox is all that needs replaced, rockers are only needing small front patch, rear rails only need the rearmost section by the spring hanger, and lower quarter/lip/small outer wheelhouse piece... really was expecting swiss cheese, but the long garage nap was pretty kind overall to it.

on the 429, no stroker plans for me...one little trivia thing I always liked- only two engines over 400 CID ever had a rod:stroke ratio over 1.8:1 , that was the 429 ford and the 426 hemi... these things were built to scream all day and survive... even stock with its 360hp and 480 ftlb @2500, it will do fine in the little mustang...and last a long time I hope :)

Im in northeast ohio, right in the heart of the salt belt...

also, heres a pic from '82 just before the 69 got put away...love these car's lines...

9380313864_c66776ee67_z.jpg

Tim

Edited by ford4v429

Welcome. Mine has been ongoing since 2001.

was just looking thru your pics earlier, lots of surgery completed on yours- i'm just getting started...small world, my sons on the ranger forums, posted something on there about rust repairs, saw your mustang pics in the post above it too :)