Sign in to follow this  
maxum96

Shrinking attached photos???

How do you get pictures not to be so huge when you attach them? I've looked in the User CP and can't find a setting to change.

I use Microsoft Office picture manager. You can usually shrink them down to 1000 kb or less and they will upload OK. There could be a better one I don't know. dave

You could download 'Photo Gadget' it's very easy to use (I use it, so it must be!)

Once you install it, it's just a matter of 'right clicking' on any photo you like and a drop down list will come up where you select what size you want it changed to.

Here's one for you that works with WXP or W7 ad is built-in to the OS. In Explorer view, right click on the picture file (or group of files) and select Send to>Mail Recipient. A new window opens and has drop down selection for picture size. Make your selection and click the "Attach" button. Windows will launch a new email with the reduced pics attached. You can drag the reduced images into a different folder or drag them to the original folder and when prompted to "replace existing files by same name?", click yes. Easy Peasy and built-in to Windows.

The only exception is with Windows7 and Live mail, they have changed programming and creates a web album to upload to Microsoft's Skydrive cloud storage. The workaround is to simple create a dummy text file in the folder with the images you are resizing and include it in your group to resize and it will then behave as above.

Edited by miketyler

Are you referring to the small pictures that you may click to receive full size or just reducing the picture size in general?

If it is the former then you attach the picture to the post, hosted on this site. Scroll to the very bottom on a new post or when you reply to someone use the "Go Advanced" button rather than "Post Quick Reply" & scroll to the bottom. The "Attached Thumbnails" below has been uploaded to the site & can be expanded by clicking.

If the latter there are several online sites that you can upload your picture to and convert it. With this option the picture is hosted at an external photo hosing site, The picture directly below is an example of a resized & hosted externally.:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

phpbGXYrAAM.jpg

Edited by jmlay

Are you referring to the small pictures that you may click to receive full size or just reducing the picture size in general?

If it is the former then you attach the picture to the post, hosted on this site. Scroll to the very bottom on a new post or when you reply to someone use the "Go Advanced" button rather than "Post Quick Reply" & scroll to the bottom. The "Attached Thumbnails" below has been uploaded to the site & can be expanded by clicking.

That's what I was after! Thanks for the info. I know how to shrink a photo on my computer. But couldn't figure out how to shrink them when another website was hosting them.