Sign in to follow this  
Glenn83

Tin man engine mounts

Not me. They look nice, but don't think they look $235 nice. If you're got some Fab skills member buening has some Ron Morris knock off plans in a PDF file. Easy to make, and can save you some coin.

IMG_20130821_194058_zps0d920ecf.jpg

Bob

Edited by RPM

Not me. They look nice, but don't think they look $235 nice. If you're got some Fab skills member buening has some Ron Morris knock off plans in a PDF file. Easy to make, and can save you some coin.

Bob

I hear what you're saying. I'm not made out of money either. You have to have a welder and you have to one of of the following, a plasma cutter, waterjet cutter or a diegrinder with cutoff wheel. I dunno about you, but I don't know of hobbyist with a water jet cutter in their garage, plasma cutter is going to leave rough edges. And a diegrinder would take forever to cut steel that thick. And you'd have to have a welder (which a lot of us have). So when you figure out how time it would take to make a those mounts, in my book it makes it worth buying them.

I made a set of buening's mounts with a porta-band, a cordless drill, and some files. I had way too much time on my hands.

I have access to expensive equipment, and a simple DXF file is much quicker when you send it to the laser cutters. You can end up with a pile of parts for 1/10 of the cost of the mounts. Some assembly required

IMG_20131213_163748_zps01aa14c4.jpg

I made mine with an air cutoff tool, abrasive chop saw, and a drill, and it took quite awhile and had less than perfect edges. I wasn't being picky during fabrication though, so that may have been part of it. A band saw will make things go quicker but the slotted holes would still need a cutoff tool or angle grinder with cutoff disc.

For me its not about time = money, its about honing my skills and spending time in the garage. It also took me three times as long in total since I had to recreate the wheel (measurements and CAD/PDF drawings)

I now own a Powermatic 143 bandsaw and Evolution Rage 2 chop saw, so metalworking goes a bit faster now :)

They can be made in the average garage with a few hand tools. I cut mine out with a sawsall, then hit the edges with a flap wheel grinder. Drill press came in handy. Only after I made two of the plates with the slots did I remember that I had a mill 20 feet away. Doh!

Bob

IMG_20130821_124331_zps70bd12d7.jpg

Yes, I do suck, thank you. Borrow it? Uh, sure. But don't tell my brother, it's his. He calls me one day and asks, I bought a mill from Spook (his real name and a friend from karting days) but don't have room for it. Can you keep it at your house until I add on or move? You betcha! Take your time. He lives 100 miles north in Fresno. The mill has been here at least 5 years and I still start a project and forget about the mill. Age :(

Bob