Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Putting 2005+ Rims on my 1970

These are 2012 Mustang GT 18x8 with 6.3125 bs. I've got tubular front control arms with screw in ball joint sleeves, which enables use of wheels with more bs. With 13" Cobra front discs I have 1-1/8" spacer, rear has 3/4" spacer but could vary a bit both ways.

Bob

IMG_20140114_134739_zpsc254e2ab.jpg

IMG_20140114_134653_zpsbbf9eeea.jpg

IMG_20140114_134051_zps152b3d25.jpg

IMG_20140114_133532_zps1f9d1754.jpg

IMG_20140114_133627_zps4cd07d0a.jpg

What about the hub ring? To go from a smaller diameter hub to the newer wheel hole size?

Yes, the hub ring. The best set up I've seen is the Vintage Venom where a ring is machined into their spacer. Using best practices you don't want to use studs or bolts to locate pieces. However, I used the Mustang Steve method of installation. Hub first, hub/rotor spacer, rotor, wheel spacer, then wheel. This seems to work for his crowd, and he is an engineer. I made my rotor spacer which fits over the hub to center the rotor. Suppose I need to get busy and machine some spacers to locate the wheel center hole to the hub.

Bob

IMG_20131201_162616_zps247420dc.jpg

user6734_pic1084_1334464431_zpsf41e99f1.jpg

These 18X8's came on CS/GT and premium model GT's. I've never seen these on an early Mustang, I found a set on CL and they have 6 7/8" BS :sad:. I think they're beautiful, but I'm not crazy about running that much spacer.

The ring you show in the bottom pic with the rotor is flush with the rotor. I don't see a lip sticking out for the wheel to catch.

Good observation. Let me review my set up, and what I believe is the optimum set up.

My components followed mustangsteve.com's 13" Cobra conversion. The rotor is centered on the hub by the spacer, as noted by you. The wheel is centered and held in place by the wheel studs.

I said earlier that is not the best/correct way to do it, and also said I need to get busy and make some spacers, so the wheel is centered not by the wheel studs but ultimately by the hub. The newer Mustang wheels and rotors have a bigger I.D. than the early Mustang hubs. The I.D. of my rotor and wheel are of by .020", so the new spacer I make will have a step in it.

I believe the best way to use wheel spacers is when the rotor, spacers and wheel are centered by the hub snout, and centering spacers made into the spacer. The rotors/hubs can also be pressed together using the studs. I mentioned earlier the Vintage Venom unit which uses in my opinion the best way to accomplish this.

I have never said my method is the best/correct/only way to do it. But it has worked for many others w/o issue. I hope this clears up any questions.

Bob