Sign in to follow this  
magician

pix or help on roof rail window seal

I dont understand what these clips are used for. Curiosity has peaked my interest.

The chucklehead that installed new rubber on my car may have missed something.

On my drivers door, the glass is not making a tight seal and when I drive down the road, I get the whistling sound. The 1/4 window glass doesnt make a good seal either.

Is this due to these clips not being installed? If so, post a couple pics please as I am a visual person.

The clips guide the window into the groove of the w/s as its rolled up. They also act like stops or rests for the top of the window when the window is rolled up and the door is closed. Without the clips, the only thing supporting the window is the back stainless trim....so the window wobble.

Correct, except the original/NOS ones had holes that mount it to the body of the car like below. There are also two per window just forward of where the window starts to taper down, one on the inside part of the w/s and another on the outside. They are not directly across from each other. A look at an assembly manual may shed more light. The aftermarket ones sold by NPD aren't exactly like the originals, FYI. The aftermarket ones have the bends all wrong, and both the aftermarket and NOS one shown below have more of a rounded-then-flat end (furthest left in top pic below), whereas the originals on my car were mostly rounded with no flat area

287_70guideclip2.jpg

I recalled a bookmark I had to an article on the roof rail w/s, and noticed in the pictures they also show a guide towards the rear of the window, in which my car has neither. Guess I have some investigating to do! Its possible the PO took the rear one and mounted it towards at the front. Hopefully others can shed more light on this.

mump_0911_01_%2breplace_weatherstripping%2bweatherstripping.jpg

The pic below shows the guide just in front of the taper of the window. My car has one on the outside as well further down....it may be where his arm is blocking. Not a detail I've looked at in awhile on my car. It also shows the up close pic of the original guide at the rear of the window. Notice how it is fully rounded and not flat at the end like I mentioned?

mump_0911_22_%2breplace_weatherstripping%2bpress_rood_rails.jpg

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0911_how_to_restore_weatherstrip/

buening, the assembly manuals show two as you illustrate in your pictures.

i have mine installed mine like the pictures, but i've seen countless cars with them rotated 180 degrees (even some with one installed one way and the other rotated...)

Good info Buckeye. I don't have the manuals so I wasn't sure.

Another tip on these, if the originals have the coating missing like in the pic above and you are concerned with originality you can dip the originals in Plastidip (after derusting it). The originals had a more glossy rubber coating, but Plastidip finish is fairly close and you retain the original shape/contours of the guides.

I'm not aware of any from the vendors. The picture I used was from an older Ebay auction, and they pop up every once in awhile on there. I simply used my original as a template and drilled holes in the aftermarket one.

I believe there are indeed cutouts in the stainless weatherstrip retainer.

BTW the rubber coating on the NPD ones that I installed has already separated at the tip after less than a year from being installed. I will be trying the plastidip idea to see how long it lasts. I may end up with the same issue but will try numerous coats.

I'm not aware of any from the vendors. The picture I used was from an older Ebay auction, and they pop up every once in awhile on there. I simply used my original as a template and drilled holes in the aftermarket one.

I believe there are indeed cutouts in the stainless weatherstrip retainer.

BTW the rubber coating on the NPD ones that I installed has already separated at the tip after less than a year from being installed. I will be trying the plastidip idea to see how long it lasts. I may end up with the same issue but will try numerous coats.

Thanks, I have some of the aftermarket ones too. If I can't find OEM ones that is probably what I will do also.

Thx to everyone for pix and Info .Window alignment is tough enough if you got all the parts. Much more so with parts missing. Btw...im aligning door glass after installing A1 power windows. I'll report back on how they work for anyone interested.