Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish

Hard Starting in COLD Weather

I live in sunny California but lately we've been having some sub freezing temperatures. I try to fire up the 69 Mach on a weekly basis even if I don't get it out of the driveway. During these cold temps I'm wondering if the Valvoline 20-50 Racing Oil is contributing to the starting problem because of its thickness when it is cold. I've always used this oil so I'm kinda stuck on it. But maybe I should just go with a synthetic 10-30W. I've been told you can go from a conventional oil (I think Valvoline is ash base) to a synthetic but not the other way from synthetic to conventional.

If I give it a shot of starting fluid it will usually fire right up but I just don't like the idea of using it. Maybe its perfecting o.k. to use during cold weather.

What I'm thinking about and would like some input is are any of you guys using one of those oil pan warmers that you shove down the dip stick tube? I know these little heaters are popular in the East where it is consistently cold in the Winter. And do you think I should get off the Valvoline 20-50 racing and go with something else?

Thanks for any input,

Kingfish (Steve)

Edited by Kingfish
delete

It's not the oil. I run straight 50w in my Harley. And I can start it up right now no problem with temps well below freezing. It's most likely your carb and/or your timing. Colder temps require a richer mixture to start. With modern EFI we've grown so spoiled with starting our cars by just twisting the key. People forget about what it was like to have to prime the engine and setting the choke by pumping the gas pedal on a carb engine. Having to use starting fluid is an indicator of that.

When we're having normal weather here in Sacto (70 to 100 degrees) I crank the engine about 5-10 seconds to get some gas into the carb, pump the gas pedal a couple of times, turn the key and it starts up.

Now with this colder weather which is un-seasonalbly cold for Sacramento I'm having this cold starting problem which doesn't occur during warmer weather so I'm scratching my head a little about it.

The carb is a 650 Holley double pumper that was recently rebuilt professionally. Float bowls are right on. And the timing is at 10 degrees which works for me. I could advance it more but I'm o.k. with it at 10 degrees.

It's not a 'show stopper' by any means and we are spoiled with EFI in the newer cars. So I'll poke around the engine some more and maybe I'll find something.

Kingfish

Like Maxum96 said it is not the oil if it cranks with starting fluid then its dead give away that the non starting issue is fuel related. In extreme cold you have to give more fuel that you would in warmer weather. This is just a given fact with carb engines. Back to the oil, thick oil would only make the engine crack over more slower, if its turning over fast enough to start with starting fluid it should start with the proper amount of gas also.

Now with this colder weather which is un-seasonalbly cold for Sacramento I'm having this cold starting problem which doesn't occur during warmer weather so I'm scratching my head a little about it.

It doesn't take a big temp difference to affect a carbed engine. I lived in San Diego for 35 years. And in the winter time sometimes the car in my avatar picture didn't like to start easily. Here in Colorado I pump the snot out of my carb when the motor is cold in the winter to get it to start. And I have to let the engine warm up for a while by holding the throttle before it will idle.

I would expect to need to give a couple of pumps of the pedal to start in cold weather. If that does not do it then I would start by looking at the choke adjustment.:

https://www.google.com/search?q=holley+choke+adjustment&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS552US552&oq=Holley+choke+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9492j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Hello Kingfish,

I speak from experience as I have lived outside Boston Mass all

my life (62).

When you say the car won't start like normal in the cold there are

2 major things we need to look at,

1. - Does the motor crank over fast in the cold? If not - it could be sign

of a weak battery or a battery without enough Cold Cranking Amps.

A bad or weak cell will also have the same affect.

2. - The CHOKE is VERY important in the cold. Keep in mind you have a

double pumper so you are shooting in a lot of gas. I would only pump the

pedal FULLY twice. This will set the choke if it is working correct.

I think you need to double check the choke position on a COLD motor

and see if it closes ALMOST fully. You should have a space about the size

of a number 2 pencil. If the choke is FULLY closed you will get NO air.

Been fighting winter starts a LONG time. Oh yeah - on a few of my

cars back in the day - -I had NO choke and would have to feather

the gas till the motor warmed up

Just a few thoughts

Print DAd - -it is COLD here now and more snow on the way - yuk

The 650 double pumper only has a choke cable I pull out manually from the dash that allows me to fast idle it without keeping my foot on the gas pedal until it warms up. There is no choke what so ever inside the carb.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I've pretty much been living with this problem over the years. I bought it new in Oct. 1968 and with the stock 351W 4 barrel it was pretty civilized. I't's bored and has a pretty healthy Crane cam in it, aluminum intake that I bought in 69 out of the Ford Muscle Car catalog. Recently I dumped the Accel dual point dist. and put in a Petronix Flame thrower dist. and coil. Milodon 8 qt. pan and Hi-Perf water pump with a Champion 4 row I think the # is MC340. Nice radiator for the $$. It has posi with 3:50 gears. I'm 66 now and wondering where the last 40 years went!! Way back when I didn't think twice about the poor visibility it has but now I'm considering a rear facing camera around the license plate that I could have show up in the rear view mirror. Often times when I'm out driving it I've got people getting way too close because they want to check it out. It's wimbleton white with red stripes. Total milage on her is 73,000. I sometimes think about selling it but I've got too many great memories sitting there. Especially those from the Thursday night Grudge Races at Fremont Raceway! I've yacked enough. Later Guy's!!

Kingfish

The 650 double pumper only has a choke cable I pull out manually from the dash that allows me to fast idle it without keeping my foot on the gas pedal until it warms up. There is no choke what so ever inside the carb.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I've pretty much been living with this problem over the years. I bought it new in Oct. 1968 and with the stock 351W 4 barrel it was pretty civilized. I't's bored and has a pretty healthy Crane cam in it, aluminum intake that I bought in 69 out of the Ford Muscle Car catalog. Recently I dumped the Accel dual point dist. and put in a Petronix Flame thrower dist. and coil. Milodon 8 qt. pan and Hi-Perf water pump with a Champion 4 row I think the # is MC340. Nice radiator for the $$. It has posi with 3:50 gears. I'm 66 now and wondering where the last 40 years went!! Way back when I didn't think twice about the poor visibility it has but now I'm considering a rear facing camera around the license plate that I could have show up in the rear view mirror. Often times when I'm out driving it I've got people getting way too close because they want to check it out. It's wimbleton white with red stripes. Total milage on her is 73,000. I sometimes think about selling it but I've got too many great memories sitting there. Especially those from the Thursday night Grudge Races at Fremont Raceway! I've yacked enough. Later Guy's!!

Kingfish

Kingfish

I'm 66 years old and wondering where the last 40 years went, I can relate to that. You and I can certainly remember how to start cars with chokes back in the day because that's all we had and sometimes later when the first auto chokes came out around 54 or 55 or so they sometimes never worked right. First owner of a 1969 Mustang cool. hope you get your problem solved .

Dave

Kingfish

I'm 66 years old and wondering where the last 40 years went, I can relate to that. You and I can certainly remember how to start cars with chokes back in the day because that's all we had and sometimes later when the first auto chokes came out around 54 or 55 or so they sometimes never worked right. First owner of a 1969 Mustang cool. hope you get your problem solved .

Dave

I can relate too, I am 55 (almost 56) & I learned how to drive on a 68 Catalina. My first 3 cars were all Mustangs so I remember what is like starting them on cold mornings here in NJ in the mid 70's. Good luck fixing your problem.

Mike.