Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

Took the car for a long road trip .... issue

I went to the mother-in-laws this past week for Thanksgiving and while on the interstate, some of the bridges had terrible joints going onto and coming off them. The rear tires would bottom out and rub the fender wells.

I have 255x15x60R on the rear.

What is the simplest way to remedy this? New leaf springs with an extra leaf or two? Re-roll the current springs?

I do not want to put those damn ugly shackel things on.

If I were to get new springs, does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my daily driver but I will garage her when the snow is on the ground. I have not had this issue before while driving it around the area I live. And no I was not loaded down with a lot of weight.

BTW, I got a lot of horn honks, waves and thumbs ups ... kinda felt like I was in a parade LOL.

This pic is a little old, but it shows the stance with the new wheels and tires.

I know many cringe at this but my lips are rolled up - may work unless you are talking about hitting the inner fenders themselves and not the lips? If thats the case then I would consider springs and/or shocks??

I do believe the tires are hitting the outter lips of the wheel wells. I have replaced the shocks a couple months ago. Just not sure about the leaf springs. I am sure they are original to the car and I am unsure how they should look as far as how much bend there should be while sitting. They look to be straight now without and positive curve to them. Are the leafs wore out?

If I went with new leaf springs, how much lift should I gain from them? Should I go with a beefier spring? If I were to go with coil-over shocks, would that lift the rear up enough to eliminate the rubbing? I really don't want to roll the lips.

I would much rather go with the leaf springs than coil-over shocks because of the shocks being replaced recently.

What's the offset on your wheels? They could be sticking out too far and that's causing your issue. 255/60/15 tire with 4.5" backspace should not be rubbing in the rear unless you've got it lowered or incorrect backspaced wheels.

I do not have it lowered and I do have the 255/60/15 with the 4.5 backspacing. That is why I was leaning to replace the leaf springs .... Like I have said, doing my normal driving around my area, I do not have the rubbing issue. I guess the roads around here are in better shape than the roads in Ohio.

Do I go with stock leafs or a beefier set? A link would be extremely greatful.

I would call John at Opentracker racing products, I think a better set of shocks may resolve your issue. What shocks did you put on when you recently replaced them?

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/shocks/ He would also be able to advise you about springs. Great guy to talk to and won't try to sell you something you don't need just to make a buck.

if the rear springs are original replace them and Ii your shocks are autozone, advance auto, or orielly's type go with better aftermarket high performance shocks

Yea Id have to agree - BUT - also per Maxum's note if the offset is not correct and they are sticking out too far even the new springs/shocks may not help the rubbing.

Can you measure the distance from the tire to the leaf spring? And check your backspace?

I do not have it lowered and I do have the 255/60/15 with the 4.5 backspacing. That is why I was leaning to replace the leaf springs .... Like I have said' date=' doing my normal driving around my area, I do not have the rubbing issue. I guess the roads around here are in better shape than the roads in Ohio.

Do I go with stock leafs or a beefier set? A link would be extremely greatful.[/quote']

So, I should replace the leaf springs it sounds like .... My question is, should I go stock or a beefier set?

I really dont have the expertise to know if springs would solve the issue. But I would replace them regardless just because they are the originals and have to be weak. Even if it didnt fix the rubbing, I still dont think it would be wasted money. Sorry I couldnt be of more help!

Simple fix. Replace your leafs.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/leaf-springs-5-leaf-stock-height-1964-1973/p/LS3/

You have a daily dirver. No sense in having the problemm again. These leafs will give the car l little rake, but, can save the lip. Call the CJ's and ask about it if you want to check-on what the lift would be.

It's gonna be tough getting the old leafs out. It's worth paying $100 for someone else to do it, unless you've got time on your hands, and like working on it yourself - for stress relief or something.

The leafs and the shocks work in tandem. You could also go with a 4-leaf replcement. Re-rolling them would be OK, too. But, in my opinion, $230 is worth making sure you save your fender lip.

Replacing the leaf springs isn't so difficult, if you have an impact wrench and a u-joint for the sockets. My brother and I did it on a friend's 67 in my friend's drive way in about 2 hours. We had only an issue with replacing one of the bolts (the original was too long and wouldn't clear the exhaust, which we left in place). All other hardware was replaced. My friend went with 5 leaf springs, but has yet to drive the car, so I don't know how stiff they are. A set of 4.5 leaf springs might be a bit better (which is what I plan to use when I get to that part of my restoration).

Chuck

I prefer to do all the wrench turning myself and do not have the luxury of an impact wrench. So I use a pipe I put over my 1/2 drive ratchet :001_smile:

What are the torque specs if any on the leaf spring hardware? Yes, I am going to replace the u-bolts too.

I still would call John and talk to him, he is a wealth of knowledge on suspensions of these cars. I think you are throwing money in the wind just buying springs when you don't know for sure if that is the root cause of your problems. As said by others a good quality set of shocks can make a night and day difference is the way your car will ride and handle. Just my two cents worth. :tank:

Basically the wheels are too big for the wells. Roll the lips or go to a narrower tire. Spring changes can hurt the ride as much as change the look. You can buy some narrower tires with monster bite to make up for the width loss.

I have to strongly disagree with you. The leaf springs need replaced. They are a little more than flat/straight.

I have to strongly disagree with you. The leaf springs need replaced. They are a little more than flat/straight.

A little more than flat is more arch than the GT350 had. Click link to see pic.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/robertpmcdougal/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Bob

A little more than flat is more arch than the GT350 had. Click link to see pic.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/robertpmcdougal/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Bob

Let me try to explain what I mean a little better. When I say they are a littlemore than flat, I mean the ends of the leaf springs are lower than the center of the leafs that are att eh axle.